Metal Roof Sealant Recommendations

Question

My rig has a tin/metal roof and I’m seeing some water deposits inside. I’m noticing some small holes in the tin – what should I seal it with?

Submitted via email

Answer

I would recommend the metal roof coating from Dicor. It applies easy, will seal the holes and actually insulate the inside better as well. Check out their Elastomeric Metal RV Roof Coating and give it a try. I hope this helps!

Dicor additionally makes sealants for all roof types, not just metal or tin. They have products to help clean, replace, protect, and repair your RV Roof.

Related video: Fixing A Hole In A TPO RV Roof With A Rubber Patch

You might also be interested in our other videos on roof repair:
RV Rubber Roof Conditioning Tips And Products
How To Clean A Rubber Roof
How And When To Walk On Your RV Roof

Do you have an RV repair question you’d like answered by an expert? Email your question to editor@rvrepairclub.com or reach out to us on Facebook.

Please note: questions may be edited for clarity and relevance.

64 Responses to “Metal Roof Sealant Recommendations”
  1. Lynda Williams
    Lynda Williams

RV Make: Hi-low?, RV Model: Tow Lite, RV Year: 1998

Best way to get side seams front and back to close back after coming apart after top fell while moving. Seller didn’t tell me it had leaked for years. Have the reccomended sealing tape, but need seams closed good.

Hello Lynda,

Thank you for your patience while I reached out to the expert, here is the reply:

The only thing you can do is try really long screws to drive the seams in. There should have been screws holding it in before and you can remove those and install longer ones in the same area or make new holes around the existing ones. If you are careful and drive the screws straight along the wall edge and don’t angle them you can use 3 1/2″ screws to try to get a better grab on more supports. If those still aren’t grabbing strong enough then the framing supports are too rotted and will need replaced, if it is possible to replace. It depends on how your walls are made but sometimes the whole wall needs replaced and others can have panels taken out to replace the structure. I would not recommend using any sort of adhesive as they will not typically hold up after travel. Screws into the framing is the best option.

Dan
      RV Repair Club Technical Expert

Elizabeth Folds

RV Make: National, RV Model: Seabreeze, RV Year: 1995

What is the structure of the roof on my RV consist of?

Hello Elizabeth,

Great question! I will need more information from you. Please resubmit your question and include the year, make and model of your RV?

Joan

2. Darrell Darrow
    Darrell Darrow

RV Make: Prevost, RV Model: Royale, RV Year: 1999

What is best sealant for Prevost roof?

Hello Darrell,

Thank you for contacting us. Great question! The ‘Ask an Expert’ section is currently for members of our online community. By becoming a member, you will have access to our expert’s knowledge in RV’s. With your membership you will also receive discounts on products and hours of Premium video content.

If you are interested in becoming a member to RV Repair Club, please click on the special offer below:

If you have any further questions, please chat, email, or contact Customer Service at 1-855-706-3536.

We greatly appreciate your business!

Joan

3. bob_ginny
    bob_ginny

RV Make: KZ Sportsman , RV Model: 200, RV Year: 2015

Last time I took my RV and parked it, I noticed my 2 balls of my Sway Control Bar were bent. Did I tighten the bar too tight?

Hello Bob!

We’d love to help! What is the year, make, and model of your RV?

Thank you!

Jessica

4. Danon cook
    Danon cook

RV Make: FOREST RIVER, RV Model: LEXINGTON, RV Year: 2009

Does anyone know if i can get a power awning put on my 2009 forest river lexington. It has a curved angle at the top of the RV and I can’t seem to find anyone who carries this power awning. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Customer Service

If it wasn’t powered before it isn’t easy to get powered ones as you would have to drill through the wall and run wires inside to another power source, sometimes this involves going through ceiling and wall panels. Sometimes it can be easy to. If you did already have a power awning the replacement is easy. You should be able to take out the awning and look at the identification tag to find out who makes it. Usually it is on the tube, arms or even the fabric. You can also call the manufacture with the VIN to find out as well. The only company I was able to find that makes the curved arms was Dometic. They have a chart to find out which system you have but did not mention if it was powered or not. Some of these arms are still available online so it might be worth contacting Dometic directly and see if they have what you are looking for. I will share the link with the arm catalog below.

Dan
      RV Repair Club Technical Expert

5. Georgia Nelson
    Georgia Nelson

RV Make: Winnebago, RV Model: Itasca, RV Year: 1987, Brand: New Mark, Model Number: PA1220

Looking for manual to know what all the buttons are for.

Hi Georgia!

I do apologize but we will need a little more context in regards to the manual you’re looking for.

Thank you!

Jessica

6. Jim
    Jim

RV Make: Forest river, RV Model: Stealth G-Series, FSA3320, RV Year: 2020, Brand: Stealth G-Series, Model Number: FSA3320

Generator isn’t charging batteries. Nor is the solar panels

Hello Jim!

We’d love to help! What is the year, make, and model of your RV?

Thank you!

Jessica

7. Thomas Long
    Thomas Long

RV Make: KZ, RV Model: 281BHKLE, RV Year: 2020, Brand: Sportsman LE, Model Number: 281BHKLE

RV Ladders. I received the schematic diagram for our camper from KZ. The diagram shows the backing on the back wall, however for the roof their is no cross member. What’s the proper way to attach? Roof decking is 3/8 plywood.

Ladder: Stromberg Carlson LA-401BA Universal ladder

Hello Thomas,

Thank you for contacting us, here is the experts reply:

It will just sit on the roof, there is no extra support on the roof for the ladder. The roof is strong enough to support it without extra wood. It just needs to be screwed into place when resting into position with 1″ screws.

Dan
      RV Repair Club Technical Expert

8. William Shirley
    William Shirley

RV Make: Crossroads, RV Model: Cruiser "CF315RL14" (5th Wheel), RV Year: 2014

Is RV Armor a good choice for recovering a rubber roof?

Customer Service

I personally don’t have any experience with that product but I have heard many good things about it. It does come with a lifetime warranty so as long as they uphold that it sounds like a good investment. I would look up reviews and see what others have said but as I mentioned I have heard nothing but good things about it.

Dan
      RV Repair Club Technical Expert

9. David Sharp
    David Sharp

RV Make: Monoco, RV Model: Diplomate, RV Year: 2002

what can i use to seal tape back down on my metal roof, just purchased this rv

Customer Service

Eternabond is a great product and works well on metal roofs. It can be used to seal around existing components or when installing new ones. This can be found online and at local hardware stores as well. It is very strong and hard to get off so make sure you are using it over something you want to stay for a long time.

Dan
      RV Repair Club Technical Expert

10. Eric
    Eric

RV Make: Keystone , RV Model: VR 1, RV Year: 2007, Brand: Keystone, Model Number: Bid 10

Slide went half way out and stopped! Will not go out anymore and will not retract. I can hear the motor moving. I was told to check the Shear Pin! Where is that and what is that?

Hello Eric!

That’s a great question!

The ‘Ask an Expert’ section is currently for members to our online community. We do have a promotional offer if you are interested. This would include access to expert advice (like this), plus discounts, hours of Premium videos, etc. Please feel free to take a look. You can message us right back with your question if you decide to become a member and you will have a response within 1-2 business days from our experts!

Please follow the steps below to receive the annual membership at the introductory rate:

1. Click on the email link: https://go.rvrepairclub.com/C23062
      2. Click on the Premium Membership offer.
      3. The Checkout page will display your Premium Membership purchase.
      4. Fill in your Billing Details and create an account password.
      5. Fill in your debit/credit card information.
      6. Finish by clicking Complete Order.

If you have any further questions, please contact Customer Service at 1-855-706-3536 at your earliest convenience, or chat with us on our site.

We greatly appreciate your business!

Jessica

11. Frank Crosby
    Frank Crosby

RV Make: Conquest , RV Year: 2002

How do you replace the Louan in our front bunk have a con quest motorhome under the metal frame

Hello Frank!

Could we get the year, make, and model of your RV?

Thank you!

Jessica

Frank Crosby

RV Make: Gulf stream, RV Model: Conquest, RV Year: 2002

I’m trying to find where to buy the outside of the bottom of the front bunk above the driver’s cab.

Hello Frank,

Thank you for contacting us. I’m sorry I wouldn’t know where to find that.

If you have any other concerns, please contact us at 1-855-706-3536, or chat with us on our site.

We greatly appreciate your business!

Joan

12. Scott
    Scott

RV Model: Gulf stream, RV Year: 2007

Do people ever spray a liner similar to the type used in a bed liner on the roof of their RV?

Hello Scott,

That’s a great question!

1. Click on the email link: https://go.rvrepairclub.com/C23896
      2. Click on the Premium Membership offer.
      3. The Checkout page will display your Premium Membership purchase.
      4. Fill in your Billing Details and create an account password.
      5. Fill in your debit/credit card information.
      6. Finish by clicking Complete Order.

We greatly appreciate your business!

Joan

13. Bob McInnis
    Bob McInnis

RV Make: jayco, RV Model: 1008 sg, RV Year: 1988

how to seal center line seam better than using putty tape

Hello Keith,

You will need to use a nut and bolt most likely to hold it in place. Typically they use machine rivets when making the steps and you would need a special tool and rivet to make it original again. Depending on what style of steps you have and who makes them they might have something else that can be used but the ones I have seen can typically only be fixed with a nut and bolt. Use a nylon nut so it locks into place without much tension.

Dan, RV Repair Club Technical Expert

14. Chantel Basulto
    Chantel Basulto

RV Make: Fleetwood , RV Model: Southwind , RV Year: 1992

I disconnected my battery’s not knowing that I had to pay attention to How they were connectedNow that I have to new batteries to replace my house batteries I don’t know how to connect my battery’s and the batteries that I am trying to connect or 2 6v house batteries and 1 12v motor battery can someone out there help me

Customer Service

The two 6v batteries will have to be connected in series. I can share a diagram that shows how to do this but you will need to connect the negative from battery 1 to the positive of battery 2. The negative from the RV connects to the negative on battery 2 and the positive from the RV connects to the positive from battery 1. It sounds confusing but the diagram should help. The chassis battery will be connected in parallel. This means all negatives together and all positives together. The colors for both of these wires can be different on all RV’s but typically red is positive and black is negative but sometimes black can be positive and if there are white wires these can be negative. The only way to know for sure is to trace the wires and see what they lead to.

Dan
      RV Repair Club Technical Expert

15. Jim Gilley
    Jim Gilley

RV Make: Cruiser, RV Model: 2700 TH, RV Year: 2021

I am wanting to install a rail on the outside to accommodate my grill. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Jim Gilley

Hi Jim,

Thank you for contacting us. Please resubmit the question with the make, model and the year of the RV. This is something the experts will need in order to help.

We greatly appreciate your business!

Ayan

16. Deborah Maciejewski
    Deborah Maciejewski

RV Make: Jayco, RV Model: Pinnacle, RV Year: 2019

Where are the shut off valves for the ice maker in a jayco pinnacle 2019

Hello Deborah,

Thank you for contacting us.

I don’t have access to plumbing schematics but usually they are under the kitchen island on the left side, sometimes behind a panel and near the floor. They tie the plumbing for the fridge to the kitchen faucet most of the time. Often there is a second valve as well and this is typically in the cabinet or below the stove next to the fridge. You might have to remove a drawer to gain access to it but it will be all the way against the back wall. These are where they are typically located. It won’t be directly behind the fridge but nearby off to the side or in the kitchen island.

We greatly appreciate your business!

Lindsay

17. mark crootof
    mark crootof

RV Make: coachman, RV Model: prism elite, RV Year: 2021

New coach, already been burned twice by dealership that sold me the coach so ILLNOT GO BACK TO THEM FOR ANYTHING. I noticed a roof issue- smallpox shape swelling after 4th elastic’s train and after the dealership created my entire external Rv to protect it for 7 years. Who can I go to and have it fixed without running/voiding my warranty- any dealership? any repair shop or only specific ones? I wrote coachman and do not have any answer yet. I do not wish to void my warranty but it might rain any day, should I wait?

Hi Mark,
      Here is what our expert had to say:
      To keep the warranty you will have to go to a certified service center. Most dealerships would be find as long as they are willing to service other warranty work. Many service centers don’t deal with warranty but some do so you would have to call and ask around. Coachman is owned by Forest River which makes many different brands so I would look into dealers that sell Forest River to make sure they can make the repair based on what is covered under the warranty. It is best to take care of roof problems sooner rather than later. If there is a break in the roofing material it can cause a lot more issues.

Dan
      RV Repair Club Technical Expert

18. Bernard Roussel
    Bernard Roussel

RV Make: Fleetwood, RV Model: Encounter, RV Year: 2010

Hydraulic stabilizers problem. All lights are flashing on the board. Also beeps non stop

Hello Bernard,

Thank you for contacting us.

What is the year, make, and model?

We greatly appreciate your business!

Lindsay

19. Michelle Jordan Andrus
    Michelle Jordan Andrus

RV Make: jayco , RV Model: eagle, RV Year: 1994

Hi There, I just bought a 1994 Jayco eagle 27 foot RV. The roof material is flaking off really bad. I am not sure how to reseal it or what material to use. I was told it is a metal roof, but figured you guys would know. How do I go about resealing it and what material should I use? Thanks so much – Adam

20. John Mckinley
    John Mckinley

RV Make: Coachmen, RV Model: SOA LE 241 FKG TT, RV Year: 2005

What methods or materials should I use to fix the windows on my RV ? The seals have shrunk and are very brittle. Is it possible to replace the seals or will I need to replace the windows ?
    Where do I look for materials to accomplish this ?

21. Ray Beckman
    Ray Beckman

RV Make: Yayco, RV Model: Sterling, RV Year: 2010

How to repair a fibreglass pane board roof

Customer Service

Great question! The ‘Ask an Expert’ section is currently for members of our online community. I would be happy to send your question off to the experts. To get started, please send the email associated with your paid membership account. Thanks!

22. Dee
    Dee

RV Make: holiday rambler, RV Model: alumiscape, RV Year: 2018

what’s the best maintenance for roof so it stays nice

Hello Dee,

Thank you for contacting us.

We actually have some great videos going over roof care and maintenance. I will share some links below. The best things to do are to keep it clean and conditioned. Use a rubber roof cleaner and at least clean the roof twice a year. They do make conditioners that provide UV protection that are great to use after as well. This keeps the rubber in good healthy condition for years. The other thing to check are the sealants. It is very important to make sure the roof is always sealed to prevent water intrusion. If you check out the videos they show you how to do all of this and what things to look for on inspections.

We greatly appreciate your business!

Lindsay

23. WALLACE DONALDSON
    WALLACE DONALDSON

RV Make: Monaco, RV Model: Diplomat, RV Year: 2001

metal roofs sealants

24. Alan Green
    Alan Green

RV Make: Gulfstream/Ford, RV Model: Sea Voyager, RV Year: 2000

My tires only have 10,000 on them, but they are five years old. How old can tires be before they need changed, regardless of the amount of tread?

Hello Alan,

Thank you for contacting us.

It is recommended to replace tires when they reach the 7-10 year mark no matter the condition of the tread. The components of the tire can break down over time and even if the tires look fine they could be weaker and pose a higher threat of blowouts. Yours have low miles and only 5 years so you should still be fine for a while. It is good to keep an eye on this. We do have an article going over this with some more information as well.

If you have any other concerns, please contact us at 1-855-253-0822, or chat with us on our site.

We greatly appreciate your business!

Lindsay
      Woodworkers Guild of America Video Membership

25. Patricia Bucher
    Patricia Bucher

RV Make: Shasta, RV Year: 1976

I have a 1976 shasta 17 foot trailer with many small roof leaks and appears to have many patches> what is the best method to clean the metal roof and patch or repair the roof

Hi Patricia!

The metal roof can really be cleaned with any sort of exterior cleaner. If there are a lot of patches it might be best to coat the entire roof with a layered protectant. It creates a barrier on the roof to not only protect it from leaks but also makes the interior more comfortable by blocking the sun and leaving the roof more insulated. Dicor makes a specific product for metal roof applications. If you have a lot of areas needing patched, Eternabond patches work well but it might be worth looking into getting the whole roof coated. I will share a link with some more information.

Sincerely, Dan RV Repair Club Technical Expert

26. Mitch Martin
    Mitch Martin

RV Make: Rockwood, RV Model: Roo 233s, RV Year: 2012

Hi, I took my hybrid camper out recently and notice when folding out the bed that the front bed was a little soft. Did think much of it until the next day when I was packing up and there was water under the bed and it was all wet by the hinge area. I haven’t found anything that looks wrong but I just might not know the places to look so where could it be leaking from. Also worth a mention is that it was raining the whole day up to when I setup my camper.

Hello Mitch.
      Here’s what the experts had to say about your question:
      Most of the time these leak at the sides of the hinge when the door is in the closed position. The water coming down the sides can sometimes get trapped and then soak up into the bunk door itself. There is also the issue of the lower rail going across the bottom having open sealant to allow water in as well. Most of the time is has to do with the hinge and seals around it. We do have a video showing how to replace the damage for this exact issue, I will share the link below.

Dan
      RV Repair Club Technical Expert

27. Deborah Conn
    Deborah Conn

RV Make: Coachman, RV Model: Freedom express Bhs257, RV Year: 2021, Brand: Atwood water heater, Model Number: Wh-6ga

We went out on our first trip out , no problems with the water heater, we were gone 5 days np,after returning home we noticed our water heater stopped working we checked the breaker, checked the fuse all good , we have tried everything ,can you please help????

Hello Deborah,

Here is what our experts had to say:

If there is no clicking at all to try and start ignition then there is either a voltage issue or something wrong with the control board itself. If you listen closely to the control board on the outside of the tank when the switch is turned on you can usually hear a light humming noise coming from it. This will tell you the board is at least getting voltage and most likely something on the board internally is preventing it from starting ignition. If you don’t hear anything then there might not be voltage at the board. If the fuses are fine then you will have to check wiring connections. Most likely the issue you are having is with the control board itself. It is possible there is a loose connection somewhere but on these models it is more common for the control board to fail.
      Sincerely, Dan RV Repair Club Technical Expert

28. Dan Wills
    Dan Wills

RV Make: Grand design, RV Model: 2600RB, RV Year: 2020, Brand: Domestic

We have had our hot water heater fixed twice in the past year. We took it out this year and now the hot water heater only works off of propane not electric. Any ideas what could be wrong? Thank you for all your help.

Hello Dan,
      Here’s what the experts had to say about your question:

It depends on what water heater you have but there could be a few issues. On Atwood/Dometic water tanks, they use a control board to operate both the gas and electric. If the board has an internal failure it could allow one to work and not the other. You would have to get the board tested to know for sure. Suburban tanks don’t have this control board so the issue could be with the heating element, thermostat, eco, relay or the switch. Other tanks could have these issues as well. The best way to find out where the issue lies is to test the voltage and trace it back. I would start by checking the voltage at the heating element. If there is voltage there and it is not working you know the element is bad. This is the most common thing to fail. If there is no voltage at the heating element you will need to trace the wires back and through other components until you find the voltage and what it isn’t going through. You also want to make sure it isn’t something simple like the breaker being tripped or a faulty switch not allowing voltage to go through.

Dan
      RV Repair Club Technical Expert

29. Burt Bicksler
    Burt Bicksler

RV Make: Winnebago, RV Model: Vista 29VE, RV Year: 2018

Just got this used. Overall in very good condition and well maintained. One of the outside storage doors is bowed out in the center. Just enough that it leaks a tiny amount in very heavy rains. For the short term I added some additional weather strip to the center top and bottom, but would like to know if there is a procedure to straighten the door to remove or minimize the bow? There is no sign of stress on the door and the frame appears to be fine.

Thanks,

Hello Burt,

Once the door has started to bow there isn’t any good way to get it back. Bending it will just weaken it more and could create more issues. Once the door is bowed the only remedy is to replace the door. I have seen people straighten them back but it will just bow again soon and usually makes it worse the second time since it is more weak now. You will either need to seal it better or replace the door as these are the best options.
      Dan
      RV Repair Club

30. Jeremy
    Jeremy

RV Make: Coachman, RV Model: Mirada, RV Year: 2013

I put Lexel on my rubber roof and now realize that I should not have done that. What is the safest way to remove it in order to put self leveling dicor on it?

Hello Jeremy,

The best thing to use would be mineral spirits and a plastic scraper to help peel it up. Just make sure to dry the roof quickly afterwards and don’t let a soaked rag lay on the roof while doing this, it can damage the rubber material. Don’t use anything more harsh than mineral spirits.

Dan