Metal Roof Sealant Recommendations

Question

My rig has a tin/metal roof and I’m seeing some water deposits inside. I’m noticing some small holes in the tin – what should I seal it with?

Submitted via email

Answer

I would recommend the metal roof coating from Dicor. It applies easy, will seal the holes and actually insulate the inside better as well. Check out their Elastomeric Metal RV Roof Coating and give it a try. I hope this helps!

Dicor additionally makes sealants for all roof types, not just metal or tin. They have products to help clean, replace, protect, and repair your RV Roof.

Related video: Fixing A Hole In A TPO RV Roof With A Rubber Patch

You might also be interested in our other videos on roof repair:
RV Rubber Roof Conditioning Tips And Products
How To Clean A Rubber Roof
How And When To Walk On Your RV Roof

Do you have an RV repair question you’d like answered by an expert? Email your question to editor@rvrepairclub.com or reach out to us on Facebook.

Please note: questions may be edited for clarity and relevance.

12 Responses to “Metal Roof Sealant Recommendations”
  1. Lynda Williams

RV Make: Hi-low?, RV Model: Tow Lite, RV Year: 1998

Best way to get side seams front and back to close back after coming apart after top fell while moving. Seller didn’t tell me it had leaked for years. Have the reccomended sealing tape, but need seams closed good.

Hello Lynda,

Thank you for your patience while I reached out to the expert, here is the reply:

The only thing you can do is try really long screws to drive the seams in. There should have been screws holding it in before and you can remove those and install longer ones in the same area or make new holes around the existing ones. If you are careful and drive the screws straight along the wall edge and don’t angle them you can use 3 1/2″ screws to try to get a better grab on more supports. If those still aren’t grabbing strong enough then the framing supports are too rotted and will need replaced, if it is possible to replace. It depends on how your walls are made but sometimes the whole wall needs replaced and others can have panels taken out to replace the structure. I would not recommend using any sort of adhesive as they will not typically hold up after travel. Screws into the framing is the best option.

Sincerely,

Dan
      RV Repair Club Technical Expert

2. Darrell Darrow

RV Make: Prevost, RV Model: Royale, RV Year: 1999

What is best sealant for Prevost roof?

Hello Darrell,

Thank you for contacting us. Great question! The ‘Ask an Expert’ section is currently for members of our online community. By becoming a member, you will have access to our expert’s knowledge in RV’s. With your membership you will also receive discounts on products and hours of Premium video content.

If you are interested in becoming a member to RV Repair Club, please click on the special offer below:

If you have any further questions, please chat, email, or contact Customer Service at 1-855-706-3536.

We greatly appreciate your business!

Sincerely,

Joan

3. bob_ginny

RV Make: KZ Sportsman , RV Model: 200, RV Year: 2015

Last time I took my RV and parked it, I noticed my 2 balls of my Sway Control Bar were bent. Did I tighten the bar too tight?

Hello Bob!

We’d love to help! What is the year, make, and model of your RV?

Thank you!

Jessica

4. Danon cook

RV Make: FOREST RIVER, RV Model: LEXINGTON, RV Year: 2009

Does anyone know if i can get a power awning put on my 2009 forest river lexington. It has a curved angle at the top of the RV and I can’t seem to find anyone who carries this power awning. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

If it wasn’t powered before it isn’t easy to get powered ones as you would have to drill through the wall and run wires inside to another power source, sometimes this involves going through ceiling and wall panels. Sometimes it can be easy to. If you did already have a power awning the replacement is easy. You should be able to take out the awning and look at the identification tag to find out who makes it. Usually it is on the tube, arms or even the fabric. You can also call the manufacture with the VIN to find out as well. The only company I was able to find that makes the curved arms was Dometic. They have a chart to find out which system you have but did not mention if it was powered or not. Some of these arms are still available online so it might be worth contacting Dometic directly and see if they have what you are looking for. I will share the link with the arm catalog below.

Sincerely,

Dan
      RV Repair Club Technical Expert

5. Georgia Nelson

RV Make: Winnebago, RV Model: Itasca, RV Year: 1987, Brand: New Mark, Model Number: PA1220

Looking for manual to know what all the buttons are for.

Hi Georgia!

I do apologize but we will need a little more context in regards to the manual you’re looking for.

Thank you!

Jessica

6. Jim

RV Make: Forest river, RV Model: Stealth G-Series, FSA3320, RV Year: 2020, Brand: Stealth G-Series, Model Number: FSA3320

Generator isn’t charging batteries. Nor is the solar panels

Hello Jim!

We’d love to help! What is the year, make, and model of your RV?

Thank you!