Replace Flooring After a Toilet Leak

Ask an RV Expert Banner

Question

I own a 1999 Holiday Rambler Endeavor and am wondering how I replace the tile and sub-floor around a toilet after a toilet leak? I am a do-it-yourself RV owner.

Submitted via email

Answer

Typically the floor of your RV is a sandwich design of wood panel, block foam insulation with framework, and an upper 1/2” plywood sheet. Some manufactures did put an additional thin subfloor for tile while others did not.

You should be able to remove the tile with a strong putty knife or wood chisel and get a good look at what is underneath. If you let it dry really good, you may not need to replace the sub-floor at all.

My folks had water lines burst on their Class A several years ago and we peeled the carpet back, let it dry, and it was good for years. If the wood is rotten, you can cut out the damaged section and replace it with the same thickness wood and re-tile.

Hope this helps,
David Solberg

Related:
8 Tips For A More Luxurious RV Experience

Do you have an RV repair question you’d like answered by an expert? Email your question to editor@rvrepairclub.com or reach out to us on Facebook.

Please note: questions may be edited for clarity and relevance.

Pre-Trip Checklist

49 Responses to “Replace Flooring After a Toilet Leak”
  1. William r

RV Make: Coleman, RV Year: 2017

Want to dry camp and want to know what is the best option to buy a small generator ?
    Need to run roof top air conditioner
    Trailer is 32
    Ft one ac unit thx

Hello William,

You will want to get a generator/inverter which will provide a syne wave rather than raw power. I would suggest Yamaha, Honda, or Champion which several RV dealers are now carrying. You will have to calculate the size you need with the power you want to run. Roof air conditioners typically are 14,800 BTU and run at 14 amps max so you will need a fairly large model.

David RVRC Video Membership

• adam anderson

RV Make: Springdale, RV Model: 298bhs, RV Year: 2011

I have a 3000 watt honda inverter generator. It,s super quiet and runs 2 of my big 3 at a time ( a/c, microwave, water heater) when using a generator, propane is a cheaper way to heat water though.my dad has a 3500 watt and his works great also. We are running 30 amp systems in our trailers.

2. Sharon

RV Make: Jayco, RV Model: Eagle , RV Year: 98

wondering about a bubble on the roof, delamination? Is that repairable?

3. Junior

RV Make: Starcraft, RV Model: Starlite, RV Year: 2001, Brand: Dometic, Model Number: RM2551

The unit trips the GFI whenever i turn it on (Refrigerator).

Hello Junior,

To provide more specific troubleshooting information on your ref/GFCI issue we need the make, model, and year of your RV as well as the refrigerator. Also, where is your GFCI outlet located? Most have one main GFCI in the bathroom or kitchen and other outlets “ganged” to the main. If the main trips, all outlets are also tripped and not working. Also, I assume you are turning the refrigerator on the 120-Volt AC mode? Typically the refrigerator is plugged into a 120-volt outlet behind the refrigerator accessible from the outside vent cover. Most of the outlets in your RV are only 10 amp so if your refrigerator is connected to other GFCI outlets and anything else is running, the 6-9 amps the refrigerator runs on will trip the outlet! You need to get the unit into a RVIA certified technician to test the power draw.

David RVRC Video Membership

4. Richard

RV Make: fleetwood, RV Model: bounder diesel, RV Year: 2001

i’m new to diesel motorhomes. trying to locate reservoir for the power steering fluid. I suspect a leak, and trying to determine whether i’m losing level.

Hello Richard,

The power steering on a diesel pusher is typically hydraulic fluid with a reservoir canister in the back engine compartment and the fluid line running to a gear box in the front. It is a larger canister, approximately 6” in diameter and about 8-10” high.

David RVRC Video Membership

5. Ed

RV Make: NU-WA, RV Model: Hitchhiker, RV Year: 1993

I have tried to find a electrical schematic for t it. I have a few plugins that don’t work along my kitchen. I have on at the end off the cabinets that work and then about three foot down another that doesn’t. I contacted company that makes my trailer and they say they don’t have any schematics any more. Have any ideas where I might find one?

Hello Ed,

To provide more specific troubleshooting information regarding your outlet and a wiring diagram we need the make, model and year of your RV. However I have to say that most RV manufacturers do not have these available other than Winnebago, so you might need to dig into this yourself. I would suggest getting a multimeter and checking the voltage coming in and out of your outlets. Could be you have a GFCI tripped and the others are “ganged” to that and will not work? For outlets, you don’t need a schematic, just an understanding of 120-volt electrical and what outlets are connected to that GFCI with the reset button.

David RVRC Video Membership

We’d love to have you be a part of our community. We are convinced you will enjoy the benefits of becoming a member and having access to the best instructional how to videos and professional tips. We would like to offer you a special promotion for your first year membership.

6. Calvin MacPherson

RV Make: Keystone , RV Model: Cougar Xlite, RV Year: 2017

We have a 2017 5th wheel and the one inch opening around front legs seems to be a open invitation to mice and squirrels
    Any suggestions for closing off this access

Hello Calvin,

To provide more specific information on keep mice from getting inside your rig we need the make and model of your 5th wheel. I’m not sure what you are referring to as the “front legs” as most 5th wheels have leveling jacks up front that are bolted to the frame? They do have hydraulic lines that may be going into the floor of the rig in which case you can use some expandable foam to fill the holes.

Becky RVRC Video Membership

7. Ted Wagoner

RV Make: Georgie Boy, RV Model: Swinger, RV Year: 1996, Brand: Power Plus Levelers

I am looking for any operations manual or procedures associated with Power Plus Levelers. Since they are out of business I can not find any helpful online information..Thank You

8. john simmons jr

RV Make: holiday rambler, RV Model: presidential, RV Year: 88

would like to know if blueprints of the plumbing and wiring are available

9. JimmyLes

RV Make: Heartland , RV Model: Cyclone, RV Year: 2006

How do I replace my roof. I will need new wood. Maybe even new rafters. Please help.

Hello Jimmy,

To provide more specific troubleshooting information on your roof replacement we need the make, model, and year of the rig. Replace the roof and the underlayment is a very large task as it requires tearing off the outer material whether it’s aluminum, fiberglass, or rubber and then inspecting the wood. I would suggest supporting the inside with some 2”x 6” boards running front to back and adjustable ceiling joist holding them up. It’s just a step by step process that will take some patience.

David RVRC Video Membership

10. Omar Saenz

RV Make: Thor, RV Model: Tahoe, RV Year: 1997, Brand: Suburban

My furnace not working there’s LP Gas, Fuse is good your help is apppreciated.

Hello Omar,

To troubleshoot the furnace you need to understand the sequence of operation and determine which action is not happening. The thermostat calls for heat when the temperature drops below the setting and a circuit is closed sending the request to the module board. The module board then starts the blower motor which pushes air into the burner chamber. This lifts a sail switch at the front of the chamber, once this sail switch gets to a certain height, it also creates a closed circuit which tells the module board there is sufficient air flow to light and the gas valve is opened and the spark ignitor lights the burner assembly. Hot air is then blown through the burner chamber to the vents inside passing over a high limit switch at the end of the burner chamber. If a vent inside the rig is closed or blocked with a rug and the air is restricted, the burner chamber gets to hot and the limit switch shuts the unit down.

Follow this sequence and verify if the blower is coming on, the furnace is trying to light but doesn’t, or lights and shuts off. If your batteries are not above 10.5 volts, the blower motor will start, but will not produce enough air flow to raise the sail switch? If nothing happens, verify the thermostat is going into the closed position or just jump the two wires. You can also verify 12-volt power at the furnace by removing the cover and testing the automotive style plug.

David RVRC Video Membership

• matthew

RV Make: winnabago, RV Model: mini winni, RV Year: 1966

furnace, no heat fan comes on but no heat

• matthew

RV Make: winnabago, RV Model: mini winni, RV Year: 1966

furnace, no heat fan comes on but no heat is there a pizzo switch that ignites heat chamber

• matthew

RV Make: winnabago, RV Model: mini winni, RV Year: 1996, Brand: suburban heater

sorry my first time on discussiongave wrong info its a 1996 mini winni when turn on thermostat on the fan comes on but heater does not ignite is there a electronic igniter on heater

11. James

RV Make: Fleetwood , RV Model: Excursion, RV Year: 2008, Brand: KVH

My in-motion satellite dish stopped searching sounds like it’s stuck

12. Joseph

RV Make: Coachman, RV Model: Epic, RV Year: 2006, Brand: HWH, Model Number: AP29281 S.N.14398

I want to check my hydronic fluid level. The cap on the fluid tank is plastic and I don’t want to break it or the tank by taking off the incorrect way. Does it unscrew off, push and twist off?

Hello Joseph,

To provide more specific information on checking what I assume is the fluid level of the Aqua Hot heating system that uses a Hydronic Fluid mixture we need the model number of the Aqua Hot system. Typically the level can be visually inspected at the expansion tank without taking the cap off. According to the owner’s manual of a 400D model, the fluid should be checked when hot just after the burner shuts off and will have a visible “Hot” line on the tank. If you need to add fluid, consult the owner’s manual of your model which you can download on their site here: http://www.aquahot.com/Library.aspx

David RVRC Video Membership

13. Danny Merrithew

RV Make: Newmar, RV Model: Mountain Aire, RV Year: 2000, Brand: Duo-therm 4 button thermostat

My rig has 2 AC/heat pumps on the roof, and a Duo-Therm 4 button thermostat. I would like to upgrade to the 5 button thermostat, which requires the new thermostat and two matching circuit boards. I find the kits on ebay but they are over US$400, which I think is rather expensive! Can anyone suggest any other options?

14. Elden

RV Make: Starcraft, RV Model: Travelstar, RV Year: 2013

Dealer tells me slideout seats back a bit causing water to damage an are of the floor. Wont fix and socalled ext warranty wont fix either. How to repair the soft area of the floor? Novice here.

Hello Elden,

This is not a repair for a novice as the room needs to be removed and pretty much torn apart to replace the floor! I would contact the extended warranty company directly to find out why they will not cover it and maybe get a second opinion from another repair facility?

David

15. Randy

RV Make: Winnebago , RV Model: Sightseer, RV Year: 2003

What can I use to remove the glue under the captains chairs and around motor cover. Winnebago told me to use paint thinner. But it does not work. Tried just about everything on the market and couldn’t get it off. It is still tacky. Every time I try to scrape it it still will not come off. What will work????

Hello Randy,

NOTHING! Sorry to be so blunt, but we are trying to put new flooring on a 2003 Brave and have run into the same thing. Goo Gone has worked on a few adhesives used for the vinyl flooring but in the driver and passenger compartment it’s been a wood chisel and a 1/4” at a time. We did manage to get most of the carpet, foam, and tack strips off but the adhesive is still clinging to the firewall and other areas. So we covered it with 1/8” subfloor to start with a smooth surface.

David RVRC Video Membership

16. Paul

RV Make: Newmar, RV Model: Kountry Star, RV Year: 2005

Bedroom slides are intermittently not going out or not closing, and I don’t know where the relays are so I can check them

Hello Paul,

To provide more specific troubleshooting information on your slideroom issue, we need the make, model, and year of your rig as well as what slideroom mechanism. Also, there are typically no “relays” that you can check. Check your owner’s manual to see if there is an OEM manual for your slide mechanism? Most newer units use a Lippert Components Inc (LCI) system with either a cable type mechanism with the motor above the slideroom inside, or a gear system known as Schwintek with motors inside on the slide jamb. Most of the time when a smaller electric slide mechanism used in a bedroom slide operates erratically, it can be traced to the house battery condition. If you are plugged in to a shoreline power and are not drawing a large amount of power from the batteries, the converter can provide enough power to operate the slide mechanism motor. Most of these motors draw a large amount of power at start up and if the battery is low or is sulfated and not able to store enough energy, the motor will demand power and the battery can’t supply it so the motor stops.

I would suggest getting your batteries tested, and the next time you have a non-operating condition, connect a battery charger to the house batteries and see if that works?

David RVRC Video Membership

17. Mike

RV Make: Holiday Rambler, RV Model: Endeavor, RV Year: 2000

My bedroom slide has leaked because there is an outward tilt on the top of the slide. I can’t determine how to adjust this condition. I have removed the bed, floor, etc. Would like to repair the slide prior to installing new floor, insulation, etc.

Hello Mike,

To provide more specific information on adjust your slide we need the make, model, and year of your rig as well as the type of slide mechanism. If it’s the bedroom it could be a Schwintek or cable slide both of which have basically no height adjustment? However, if it’s a cable slide and the cables have stretched, the room will not come in all the way at the top and could leak because of the gap? This can be adjusted inside by tightening the bolt/knuckle connecting the cable to the chain. See the video on the site.

David

18. Frank Thornal

RV Make: Northwoods, RV Model: Desert Fox, RV Year: 2008

The rear most part of my floor on the right side, has a tie-down bracket. The plywood floor has gotten wet from a gasket leak and the plywood has rotted and the tie-down bracket has pulled out. I am looking for ideas on how to fix it.

Hello Frank,

I’m assuming you are referring to a floor in the toyhauler portion of an RV? You can replace the damaged plywood, however it would be easier to cover it with a thin metal diamond plate covering then reinstall new tie downs by drilling a hole through the diamond plate, plywood, and install a metal backing plate underneath and bolt the tie down through the plate. This will provide a solid surface but also sandwich the entire area for a solid mount.

David

19. Ephrain

RV Make: Ford e450 super duty , RV Model: Four winds chateaux , RV Year: 2008

Hello , first time RV , I have this class c and I want to learn so much about it but , everyone seems to want to talk about the class a and bigger can I and I’m sure a lot of us out there would like to hear and learn more about class c , that’s what I bought and want more info , I would really appreciate it , thank you

20. kingsironworks

RV Make: Spartan, RV Model: 1245, RV Year: 2017, Brand: Lippert

I have a lippert hydrolic slide that drifts out. There is alot of pressure on the slide when it drifts out had a strap to help hold it in while going doen the road there was a lot of tension on it. While sitting at the house for a week dod nothing

• kingsironworks

RV Make: Spartan, RV Model: 1245, RV Year: 2017, Brand: Lippert

I have a Spartan 1245 with a lippert hydrolic slide. The slide drifts out driving down the road and while sitting in the driveway. You can hear it poping and it will slowly drift out. Put a strap on it to keep it in on a trip. The strap had a lot of pressure on it. The valves are closed. We had it worked on and they said they bleed the line but still doing same thing. I am trying to figure out what causes the pressure to push it out while not in use.
      Thanks
      AMY

Hello Amy,

You probably have a seal leak that is not holding the pressure required to keep it in. Just bleeding the lines will not fix it as you have found. I would suggest contacting Lippert Components Inc (LCI) to find the nearest authorized service center and they can provide technical assistance. Visit them here; http://www.LCI1.com

David

21. Thornton

RV Make: Tioga, RV Model: Ford, RV Year: 1986

The Rv was not winterized properly so when I hooked water up to it water came out the bottom.so what I need to know is how do I repair the plumbing or replace.

22. Randy Smith

RV Make: Forest River, RV Model: Reflection, RV Year: 2000

I believe my HSH Hydraulic Leveling circuit board has gone bad. It will not light up and allow me to operate the jacks on my 2000 Forest River Reflection. Any suggestions and or information on where to locate the part needed is appreciated.

23. JEFFREY M.

RV Make: outlander, RV Model: toyota, RV Year: 195

My Blackwater tank contains only urine. Everything is fine until I serve the vehicle. And I smell urine in the drivers seat. How do I find the fracture?

Hello Jeffrey,

First, if you smell the distinct odor of urine, you are probably not using
      the proper black water tank treatment. I would suggest looking at
      the Thetford products on the market and treat the tank first. Next,
      check all your vents to make sure they are not obstructed or if you have a
      “cheater” vent under a kitchen counter, replace it. Then you will
      need to locate the black water tank and inspect the plumbing from the
      toilet to the tank and how it connects as there could be a back seal.

David

24. Daniel

Brand: Husky Electric Tongue Jack, Model Number: Husky Brut 4500R

My electric jack will extend but will not retract all the way. The 12 Volt Circuit Breaker Trips. After several attempts, when the circuit breaker resets I can get it to a reasonable position to travel. Getting worse. Is this something that is repairable?

Hello Daniel,

To provide more specific troubleshooting information on your jack issue we need the make, model, and year of the jack. If it’s a hydraulic jack with a spring on each side, it could be weak springs, or more likely corrosion on the post at the seal making for a difficult retraction which would cause friction and higher amp draw on the motor. This would trip the breaker.

David

25. Doug Yancey

RV Make: Keystone, RV Model: Cougar, RV Year: 2016, Brand: Cougar

My valves regulating black tank and grey tanks are broken

26. Pat Thompson

RV Make: Keystone, RV Year: 2000

Floor under my toilet is soft and won’t hold a screw due to prior flange breakage. Can I take a 1/8 thick piece of aluminum and size it to the base of the new toilet and screw that to the floor and a new flange to it? I can raise the flange up about 1/2″ with out unscrewing it from the tank.

27. James Mason

RV Make: Holiday Rambler, RV Model: Endeavor, RV Year: 1999, Brand: Holiday Rambler, Model Number: Endeavor Diesel

I need to replace the sub floor in the bathroom. When I cut out the old sub floor is there
    Anything under the floor that I need to be careful of? Such as electric wires, water lines,
    Gas lines.