What is the Difference Between an Inverter and a Converter

Question

What is the difference between an INVERTER and a CONVERTER?

Submitted via email

Answer

A converter is basically a battery charger that is connected to the distribution center either as an “all in one” unit or a separate unit in newer rigs. 120-volt power comes into the rig from the shoreline cord either plugged into the campground source, or by generator. That power goes to the distribution center just like your home and powers 120-volt appliances such as the air conditioners, outlets, refrigerator on AC, and other appliances. These all have circuit breakers in the distribution center. One of the circuits sends 120-volt power to the converter which is a battery charger connected to the house batteries.

An inverter is a separate component that is usually placed in an underfloor location and will take 12-volt power from the house batteries and provide 120-volt power to appliances. Smaller inverters can be found in the entertainment center for the TV/DVD player. Larger ones will have 2000 + watts to power the refrigerator on 120-volt power and other appliances. These will also typically replace the converter as they have multi-stage chargers like the Freedom 2000, some from Xantrex, and others.

Hope this helps!

Related video: How To Use An RV Inverter

You might also be interested in:
RV Power Converter Troubleshooting
Essential Guide To 120-Volt Power Converters For RVs

Do you have an RV repair question you’d like answered by an expert? Email your question to editor@rvrepairclub.com or reach out to us on Facebook.

Please note: questions may be edited for clarity and relevance.

Pre-Trip Checklist

33 Responses to “What is the Difference Between an Inverter and a Converter”
  1. John Olsen
    John Olsen

RV Make: Fleetwood, RV Model: Bounder, RV Year: 1999

White water tank where are the shut off valves to keep the water in?

Hey John,

Great question! I would be happy to submit this to our team of experts for their input, but I do need some additional info from you.

What is the year/make/model of your RV?
      What is the year/make/model of your water tank?

If you have any questions or concerns, please chat, email or call us at 1-855-706-3536.

Best,
      Madeline

2. Milton Brehmer
    Milton Brehmer

RV Make: Keystone , RV Model: 3950br, RV Year: 2018

While watch tv last evening it started going on and off. Then it finally stayed off and the refrigerator, fan and my recliner. I don’t know what connects all these things.

Hey Milton!

That’s a great question. I would be happy to submit this to our team of experts, but I need more info first:

What is the year/make/model of your RV?

Thanks!
      Madeline

3. jerryj joyce
    jerryj joyce

RV Make: Fleetwood, RV Model: American tradition , RV Year: 2000, Brand: Fleetwood , Model Number: American tradition

Tried to start my coach, waited for the dash lights to disappear. Turned on the ignition switch to start and nothing happened. I remembered the switch at the rear was off. I left the ignition on and went to the rear of the coach to turn that switch on. After I turned the switch on I heard something trying to start. Not knowing what was happening I turned the rear switch off. I then went back to the front and turned the ignition switch off. I went back to the rear & turned that switch on and then went to the front and tried to start the motorhome. All the dash lightrs came on & closed. The vehicle was in park with the brakes on. The diesel genererator started OK. When I turned the ignition switch to start there was nothing. It made no attempt to start.

Hello Jerry,

Here is the response for our expert:

It is possible there might be a blown fuse but if the switches and everything are in the proper position it could be the starter as well. It is possible there is something wrong with the switch as well. Really the only way to know is to remove the switch and test for continuity between the terminals. You said the lights went out on the dash, could it be a low battery issue? You might have the battery selector switch in the wrong position or it is possible the starting battery doesn’t have the load capacity to start as well. Most likely the issue you have is an electrical one as opposed to a single component but tracing it could be difficult. The best thing to start with is double checking and making sure everything is in the proper position and setting and make sure the battery is fully charged with clean terminals. After that you want to check the fuses for the chassis and then test the switches. I hope this helps narrow it down!

Sincerely,

Dan
      RV Repair Club Technical Expert

4. Gordy Smith
    Gordy Smith

RV Make: Fleetwood, RV Model: Discovery, RV Year: 2013

Do you have to remove the ceiling to change roof top AC units

Hello Gordy,

Thank you for your patience while I asked the expert, here is the reply:

No, thankfully they are fairly easy to do. It depends on what type of AC unit you have but there are typically two ways of removing the AC. If you have the standard AC with the vent and return air filter in the center of the ceiling you should be able to remove the vent cover to gain access to everything. With the cover fully removed you should see the wiring for the AC control panel and it needs to be unplugged. You then need to look at the 4 corners for 5/16″ hex bolts. These are the bolts that hold the AC to the roof. Remove them and the AC will be free to take off of the roof. If you have a low profile AC unit and your return air filter are on the sides of the ceiling and not in the center, all of this is done on the roof. Remove the shroud of the AC and look for screws or bolts holding it into place, there will be four and can sometimes be hard to find but they are there. Once they are removed you can tilt the AC on its side and disconnect the wiring and then remove the unit from the roof. Taking the AC unit on and off the roof is the hardest part about replacing them. I hope this helps!

Sincerely,
      Dan

RV Repair Club Technical Expert

5. Don Colicchio
    Don Colicchio

RV Make: Keystone Springdale, RV Model: 38FL, RV Year: 2020

When I empty my Black tank, on the panel , senor reads 1 light indicating empty. When I treat my Black tank using the GEO METHOD…mix Boraxo, dawn dishwater soap, Calgon and pinesol and mix with Warm water with 1 gallon of toilet water and add my orange treatment. When I go to the panel, it will read 2 or 3 lights. Are the chemicals giving me a false reading? Not sure why it is reading 3/4 the full .

Can you explain?

Don Colicchio
    Member of RV Repair Club
    (814) 440-4499
    Erie, PA 16510

Hello Don,

Thank you for contacting us. I’m sorry for the inconvenience but can you resubmit your question and include the make, model and the year of the RV. The experts will need that information in order to assist.

If you have any other concerns, please contact us at 1-855-706-3536, or chat with us on our site.

We greatly appreciate your business!

Sincerely,

Joan

6. David Blanton
    David Blanton

RV Make: Surveyor, RV Model: Forest River, RV Year: 2015, Brand: Legend, Model Number: 252RBLE

Got my new RV home plugged it into a 30 amp outlet made for an RV and my inside breaker bid started to smoke. Any ideas, and is something ruined?

Customer Service

Anytime there is smoke that is not good. That is from heat build up which is usually caused by a loose connection. Typically the damage is confined to just that area but you should inspect everything else as well. There could be an issue with the outlet you are plugged into, the shore cord or the wiring at the breaker itself. This can be dangerous so it is important to check over the wiring of the system and make sure nothing else was damaged.

Sincerely,

Dan
      RV Repair Club Technical Expert

7. Heather Wilson
    Heather Wilson

RV Make: toyota, RV Model: coaster , RV Year: 1993

Hi can you do a video on how to replace the bailey channel in my sliding g windows on my bus.
    How to take the windiws and channel out along with the windows and how to replace them thank you in advance. Heather

Hello Heather!

I will forward this to our content team as feedback for future creations!

Thank you!

Jessica

8. Dallas Engel
    Dallas Engel

RV Make: Holiday Rambler, RV Model: Endeavor le, RV Year: 1996

where is the best place for an inverter on my HR thinking of a 2000 watt, will the batteries handle that?

Customer Service

You want the inverter in a storage compartment close to the batteries. The inverter wattage just tells you what wattage it can use up to so it is important to know how much wattage is needed for what you are trying to operate. The batteries can handle any wattage, the more wattage just means the batteries will drain faster. It depends on what you want the inverter to run and how much wattage you will need to operate that component.

Sincerely,

Dan
      RV Repair Club Technical Expert

9. Dorene Bevins
    Dorene Bevins

RV Make: Lance, RV Model: 1020, RV Year: 2000, Brand: Dometic, Model Number: Royal 3 way

My eyebrow will not light up, so I can’t turn on or off. 5amp was blown, replaced, 3 weeks later still good. Could the electric panel behind on switch need replacing?

Customer Service

Hi Dorene. Yes these panels fail and if the fuse is now good, most likely the panel will need replaced. I would first make sure you have voltage just to be sure but if there is voltage to the fridge, the panel most likely needs replaced.
      Thanks
      Dan-RV Repair Club

10. Steve Wilton
    Steve Wilton

RV Make: Forest river, RV Model: Sunseeker 31ft, RV Year: 2007, Brand: Guardian RV GENERATOR, Model Number: Quietpact 40g

I have a guardian RV generator is a 3600 watt units the model is a quiet pact 40g.

I am new to rving and new to this rig had it out for my first week and ran into troubles with the generator

I could get it started I gave it time to get warm up and then I added stuff like my AC etc

after a few more minutes it would shut down

There’s oil in the machine there’s more than a quarter tank of fuel in your RV

it would be difficult to start requiring me to fire the vehicle backup does anybody know what’s causing it to not continually to run.

Hi Steve!
      There are a few things that can cause this. It can be a clogged fuel filter, the quality of fuel, clogged air filter, old oil, clogged spark arrestor or varnish build up inside the carburetor. Most of the time a good tune up helps, changing the oil and filters and cleaning out the arrestor is the best place to start. If that still doesn’t help cleaning out the carburetor is the next thing to do. It is best to have a professional do this if you don’t have experience with it yourself as it has many small parts and gaskets that need to be cleaned and put back together.
      Sincerely,
      Dan RV Repair Club Technical Expert

11. Mike Brooke
    Mike Brooke

RV Make: National, RV Model: Seabreeze, RV Year: 2000, Brand: bcc, Model Number: 111979

Please help..

Hello Mike!

How can we help?

Thanks!

Jessica

12. Obadiah Israel
    Obadiah Israel

RV Make: Georgie Boy, RV Model: Cruise Air II, RV Year: 1989

I am totally new to fulltime RVing. I am renovating a 1989 Georgie Boy Cruuse Air II and I need to know where is a good online source for ordering. Appreciate the help

13. Alex Sumeri
    Alex Sumeri

RV Make: Fleetwood , RV Model: Bounder , RV Year: 1991

How can one empty old gasoline from the tank?

Hi Alex,

Thank you for reaching out. Looks like your question has been submit.

Sincerely,

Shelley

14. COLETTE
    COLETTE

RV Make: Forest River, RV Model: GeoPro17Pr, RV Year: 2018, Brand: Suburban, Model Number: NT-16SQ-NT-20SQ

The furnace refuses to stay lit, when I turn the thermostat on it doesn’t engage the heat from the propane so I am thinking that The internal light is out? I know not to light anything, I was just wondering is it something You/I can fix? Thanks

Hello Colette,

Great question! I will need more information from you. Please resubmit your question and include the year, make and model of your RV? Also the make of the furnace.

Sincerely,

Joan

15. Peter Bartlett
    Peter Bartlett

RV Make: Tiffin , RV Model: Allegro , RV Year: 88

The RV has been in storage since 1996 and I just purchased it and I cannot figure out how to get the 12 volt system to work

Hi Peter,

Great question! I will need additional information from you to get your question answered. What is the year, make and model of your RV.

If you have further questions, please chat, email or call Customer Service at 1-855-706-3536.

Sincerely,

Shelley

16. Peter Bartlett
    Peter Bartlett

RV Make: Tiffin , RV Model: Allegro , RV Year: 88

Where is the converter on the 88 Allegro?

Hello Peter,

I unfortunately don’t have access to schematics so I can’t give you an exact location. The converter is usually behind the main power distribution center, most of the time it has to be pulled out to gain access unless there is another access point to that area. The converter connects to a breaker and also to the fuse panel so the best way to find the converter is to trace the wires from there to its location.

Sincerely,
      Dan, RV Repair Club Technical Expert

17. Calvin Hogg
    Calvin Hogg

RV Make: Durango gold , RV Model: 38FL, RV Year: 2016, Brand: Wfco , Model Number: Fp-01

Had to change my converter which had no fan but my
    Trailer is wired like a house to the converter woth fan now everything is acting crazy.you can’t get the WFCO FP-01 now it gives you regular style 60 amp converter I stead when you look it up. Need help as my washing machine is now burnt up and not sure what’s going on .

Customer Service

Hi Calvin. There are two different style converters, open converters which will look like a computer circuit board with a lot of components on it and usually has a fan and then there are closed converters which are just a solid box with a vent on one side. These are both the same just one has a housing. Typically the open converters attach to the housing of the distribution center itself, usually slid into the bottom or side. The closed converters are usually installed on the rear of the power center as they are larger systems and better to be isolated rather than attached. All converters attach to a breaker on the 120v side and then have wires that connect to the fuse panel to power the 12v system. If you have an open converter you can replace it with a closed model, you will just have to make room for it elsewhere. You also have to make sure you are connecting the wires to the proper places as there are 120v wiring and 12v wiring. The model you provided WFCO FP-01 is not a model number. WFCO is a manufacture but they use a series number, 3000, 5000, 8900, 9000 etc. The FP-01 just means what filler plate was used for the breaker space. You will need to find the series number to find the correct converter for the system. As for the washing machine, these work off of 120v and not the 12v system so the converter doesn’t come into play when operating a washing machine. If a different converter was installed then there could be an issue with the wiring if it damaged components. Make sure to check the wiring diagrams and connections to make sure everything is correct.
      Dan