Week 1 Swim Noodles

Welcome to your very first assignment of the Hack My RV Challenge! Each week you will get one new assignment delivered to your inbox that you will be challenged to complete before the next week’s assignment hits – and we’ll keep this going for a total of 6 weeks.

For each assignment, Dave Solberg, Managing Editor of RV Repair Club, will give you an idea for an item that you likely have lying around the house or RV. You will be challenged to think of a new way to use or refashion that item so that it can create a “hack” for your RV – a quick, easy, cool, or fun solution that makes life in the RV easier or better in some way. It’s a chance to get creative and have some fun!

When you’ve completed your hack for the week, make sure to share a photo with us in the Challenge Facebook Group – we can’t wait to see what you all come up with!

THIS WEEK’S ASSIGNMENT: SWIM NOODLES

What can you create with swim noodles that enhances your RV experience? Dave has some ideas to get you started – check out the video below:

HACK IDEAS WITH SWIM NOODLES:

If you haven’t yet already, make sure to officially join the challenge so you can get each week’s assignment delivered right to you inbox. Sign up here!

Ready for the next hack? Here’s what’s coming up next:

Swim Noodles
PVC Pipes
Grocery Bags
Cardboard Tubes
Empty Containers
Duct Tape

28 Responses to “Week 1 Swim Noodles”
  1. Horace
    Horace

RV Make: Winnebago, RV Model: Adventurer, RV Year: 1999

Under mount sink clips, anyone know where to find them , Home Depot does not carry them

2. Patrick
    Patrick

RV Make: THOR, RV Model: VEGAS, RV Year: 2015

Instructions for installing an entry door strut properly

3. Patrick
    Patrick

use swim noodles as covers for handles of garden tools ,brooms , shovels and as insulation for water pipes etc.

4. Cindy Fuller
    Cindy Fuller

RV Make: Winnebago, RV Model: Class C, RV Year: 2014

Use noodles on your windshield wipers to prevent them getting “sun dried”. Of course you can use the boring pre cut grey pipe insulation too.

5. Ronald Teal
    Ronald Teal

RV Make: Tiffin, RV Model: Allegro Bus, RV Year: 2012

Cut pcs of noodles to wiper blade lengths, slit and place on blades to slow deterioration from weather and sun while parked.

6. Douglas W. Powell
    Douglas W. Powell

RV Make: Grand Design, RV Model: Solitude 369RL, RV Year: 2016

I also use Noodles between my chairs when I travel. Place a noodle over the vertical part on the back and tie the chairs together. No rubbing,scuffing or damage. Cheap n’ EASY!

7. Mickey A
    Mickey A

RV Make: 2016, RV Model: Georgetown XL 350TS, RV Year: 2016

Great idea for a floating beverage holder!!

8. Lil Fehr
    Lil Fehr

RV Make: Cougar, RV Model: 24rls, RV Year: 2005

We use noodles on our bike tires/pedals/handlebars/supports so the bikes don’t rub together while on the road

9. Doug Hughes
    Doug Hughes

RV Make: Newmar, RV Model: Mountain Aire, RV Year: 2000

I have used the pool noodles for protecting my Motorhome when using my extension Ladder. I place it on the cross rung where it rests against the roof edge. It can also be placed on the two sides of the ladder to also protect the motorhome.

10. Doug Hughes
    Doug Hughes

I also use the pool noodle by cutting off two 4 inch sections, then cut it with a slit. I then place them on each of my windshield wipers at the hinge on the rubber side. Place the wiper part way into the noodle, then place it on the windshield. This keeps the wiper rubber off the windshield when parked either at a long term camp site or when the motorhome is parked for storage.

11. ROGER RICHMAN
    ROGER RICHMAN

RV Make: Rockwood, RV Model: MiniLite, RV Year: 2013

I cut the noodles into the correct lengths and velcro them to the lower back of the dinette seat cushions. It allows a more “laid back” seating position while sitting at the table.

12. Carey
    Carey

RV Make: Thor, RV Model: Siesta 24SR, RV Year: 2017

When we had a travel trailer that we covered in storage, we cut small pieces of the noodles and tied them over the protruding gutters at the corner of the unit roof and it kept the cover from getting torn. Worked for anything that might cut the cover fabric like edges of the stairs, etc.

13. Melanie
    Melanie

RV Make: Jayco, RV Model: Greyhawk, RV Year: 2013

We put our tie down straps through them when strapping paddle boards and kayaks to the back the RV to prevent any rubbing or damage.

14. Rick Malchow
    Rick Malchow

RV Make: Jayco, RV Model: 305, RV Year: 1998

I use swim noodle to put on the windshield of my boat to protect the cover

15. Samuel Crabtree
    Samuel Crabtree

RV Make: KZ by Thor, RV Model: Sportsmen, RV Year: 2017

This is a response to swim noodle use. Both my wife and I ride Terra Trikes, When we carry them inside (not real often) we split sections of swim noodles and slip them under the wheels to protect the flooring.

16. Joe Owen
    Joe Owen

RV Make: Holiday Rambler, RV Model: Endeavor 40 SFT, RV Year: 2007

I cut a one foot section of noodle and slip it over the lower edges of the slides when deployed. That way I don’t bump my skull on it while walking around our rig – done that more than once!!! 🙁

17. jim stein
    jim stein

RV Make: jayco, RV Model: 5w, RV Year: 2014

I also use them on my boat windshield to protect the cover

18. Paul White
    Paul White

RV Make: Tiffin, RV Model: Allegro Open Road, RV Year: 2015

Response to Challenge 1 – Swim Noodles; we use the on on bikes when we put them in the rack behind our RV – various lengths in the main rails, and pedals to keep them from scraping against the coach and each other.

19. Jeff
    Jeff

RV Make: Winnebago, RV Model: Forza, RV Year: 2017

Tired of cracking my head on the bottom of the slides when removing/replacing items in the basement, I cut a slit the full length of each swim noodle and slip them over the entire outer, bottom edge of the slides. No more hurting my head.

• Ed
      Ed

RV Make: Monaco, RV Model: Windsor, RV Year: 2002

Thanks for the fantastic idea. I’ve been working on mine for about a month which adds up to about 20 head bangings.

20. Ellen Kaminsky
    Ellen Kaminsky

RV Make: Beaver, RV Model: Contessa, RV Year: 2007

Swim noodles…cut 3″ length, split the side and slip over the padlocks we use to secure kayaks to the top of the car. No more scaring the paint when the locks bounce on the roof. Also use them, full length, to protect our fishing rods when they’re stored in the bins under the rig; no more mangled/tangled rods/line.

21. mark
    mark

I would use the noodles on exposed water pipes that hang down underneath your RV to help protect them from freezing or just for protection.

22. Mark
    Mark

RV Make: Winnebago, RV Model: Sprinter, RV Year: 2014

Used mine to slip over my kayak rack to protect rack and kayak. Have a pic of one of them still on the rack after crossing the country WITHOUT the kayak!

23. David
    David

RV Make: Thor, RV Model: Palazzo, RV Year: 2014

use to protect windshield wiper blades

24. John B
    John B

RV Make: Keystone, RV Model: Montana 3400RL, RV Year: 2006

I carry noodles to protect my head from scraping the bottom of the bedroom slide. We full-time RV, and last winter we were in an area where the temperature dropped to 25 degrees F, and the wind was blowing about 15 mph. I didn’t want the fresh water hose to freeze, so I used my noodles like pipe insulation, and we had no problem. The lesson we learned is to stay south enough to avoid this kind of weather.

25. Sue Dillard
    Sue Dillard

RV Make: National, RV Model: Tropi-cal, RV Year: 2004

I slit the noodle all the way and place on the under lip of the slide out so I dont crack my skull when getting things out of the basement. My hubby likes to use them on the corners slitting lengths and placing on the corners of the slide outs so he does not run into the hard edge. Also use them over the wiper blades to protect from the Florida sun while we are parked for the winter there. Just cut to length and slit one side then feed over the rubber side of the blade and put wiper arm back up in place. The arm holds the noodle securely.

26. ANTHONY
    ANTHONY

RV Make: Forest River, RV Model: 272BH, RV Year: 2016

Make sure to look under the unit before purchase.

27. Kari
    Kari

RV Make: Beaver, RV Model: Patriot, RV Year: 1998

We slit noodles lengthwise to place along the bottom edge of interior slide in the kitchen area to prevent drafts in the winter.