Tips for Winterizing an RV Water Heater

Ask an RV Expert Banner

Question

When winterizing with air, do you blow air through the water heater tank on normal mode? And is it okay to blow air through the pump or should you just run it dry for a few seconds? Great class by the way, thank you!

Related class: Ins & Outs of Fresh Water Systems

Submitted via email

Answer

Thanks for viewing the class! That was a fun one to shoot. To answer your question, I would just remove the drain plug in the water heater tank which will drain it completely, then switch off the water heater bypass valve so the air pressure doesn’t go out the drain plug.

You will want to run the water pump dry as there would still be some water in the pump filter and the pipe coming to the pump from the fresh water tank and just after. Good luck!

Safe travels,
David Solberg

Related:
How to Winterize an RV Using Pressurized Air
RV Water Heater Troubleshooting Tips
RV Water Pump Troubleshooting Tips

Do you have an RV repair question you’d like answered by an expert? Email your question to editor@rvrepairclub.com or reach out to us on Facebook.

Please note: questions may be edited for clarity and relevance.

Pre-Trip Checklist

88 Responses to “Tips for Winterizing an RV Water Heater”
  1. Erich

RV Make: Barth, RV Model: Regency, RV Year: 1990

I lost the power of the gas pedal when I press down nothing happens it will drive in idle only I need to figure it out quick I’m stuck on the side of the roads any help would be highly appreciated it’s on a 34 foot gillig bus chassis

Hi Erich. Your no power situation could be several things. If it’s a Gillig chassis, it’s probably an older model with a carburetor vs the newer fuel injected engines? My first inspection would be the throttle linkage to the carb as this could have come loose or busted. Next would be the fuel filter since it’s idling, it sounds more like a fuel starving situation rather than spark? Let us know how you came out.
      Thanks
      Dave-RVRC

2. James Shepherd

RV Make: Forest River, RV Model: Sandpiper, RV Year: 2006

Hi I have a problem with my lounge slide out lighting.The lounge and slide lights are on the same fuse lounge is ok but no power to the slide lights.I pulled the fuse box out and found a mother board at the back of it.My question is could it be a failure in the mother box.I thank you in advance for any info you could help me with.
    Yours James

Hi James. To provide more specific information about your slide room lights, we need the make, model, and year of your RV as well as some clarification on what fuse box you pulled out and found a mother board? The lights in your rig run off 12-volt DC power from the house batteries through the distribution center. There should be an automotive type fuse located in this center. To access, the distribution center is usually located close to the floor either under the kitchen counter or sometimes I have found them in the bedroom. They have a push button cover that opens to reveal the 120-volt circuit breakers and the 12-volt fuses. The power from this fuse goes through cabinets and sometimes routed in the foam insulation of roofs and sidewalls. Typically slide room wiring runs outside underneath the slide in a coiled conduit. Check the light fixtures for 12-volt power using a simply light tester. Take out the bulb and ground the alligator clip and touch the positive point in the socket. If you do not have power, then test at the switch as it will usually be different from the lounge switch. If both the lounge lights and the slide lights are on the same fuse, they must be “ganged” meaning the positive wire goes from the fuse to the lounge lights (through the switch) and gangs off this over to the slide room lights (through the switch). You should be able to isolate where the 12-volt power goes to and where it gets interrupted. I would guess it’s a short in the wiring going to the slide.
      Thanks
      Dave-RVRC

3. William

RV Make: Jayco, RV Model: fkdst, RV Year: 2014

water heater, when using lp gas to heat water it will run fine to get the water up to temp. but then when just maintaining the temp. it will keep cycling on for a few seconds every couple of minutes

4. Sheldon (Shelly)

RV Make: Breckenridge, RV Year: 1994

what is the proper paint to redo my ceiling after repairs for a water leak

Hi Shelly. Most RV ceilings are a paneling with wallpaper or vinyl ceiling. If you replaced the ceiling panel with a standard wood sided paneling, I would recommend painting it with Bullseye by Zinsser using the primer first and then the paint. It’s the best adhesive paint I’ve found for most products.
      Thanks
      Dave-RVRC

5. Mark Ziegler

RV Make: Grand Design, RV Model: Momentum 395M, RV Year: 2018

I just purchased this triple axle fifth wheel and drove it home. A few days later noticed I had a flat tire with a screw in the tread. What is the best way to change a tire on a triple axle trailer with the equalizers attaching the leaf springs together? Thank you for your help.

Hi Mark. Most axle manufacturers such as Lippert Components Inc (LCI) and Dexter recommend lifting the unit from the frame, not the axle as the larger rigs will have too much weight for a single axle to suspend the coach and you could bend the axle! There should be a mounting plate where the axle meets the frame, this is the recommended point using a larger bottle jack or floor jack. Make sure you check the other side wheels so the trailer is secure. Some models will lift all three depending on the equalizers while others will lift just the tire/axle at the jack point. Loosen the lug nuts slightly before lifting and always place your hands at about 4 and 8 o’clock under the tire so you never have your hands directly underneath in case it comes off the jack.
      Thanks
      Dave-RVRC

6. Christian

RV Make: Keystone, RV Model: Montana 3585SA, RV Year: 2012

I have several exterior lights that I cannot turn off. I have shut the shore power off and turned the battery disconnect off and yet these lights stay on. I then turned all the breakers off in the RV and removed each 12v fuse. They still remain on. I know that there always is 12v going to the Lippert leveling system, even when the 12v discconect is activated. I need to be able to turn these lights off or they will run the battery down when the RV is in storage, Ideas on how to troubleshoot. The RV has a closed bottom so all wiring is not accessible.

Hello Christian,

To provide more specific troubleshooting information on your exterior lights not shutting off, we need the make, model, and year of your RV. Typically the battery disconnect will shut everything off except the LP leak detector and possibly the CO detector, but should shut all lights off? If it’s a motorhome, the lights might be powered by the chassis battery which would not be disconnected by the switch? Have you tried removing the negative cable to the house batteries? It’s possible someone has rewired these lights directly to the batteries due to an issue with a short in a wire somewhere? It’s easier to just run a new positive or negative wire rather than tracing the wiring all over a rig, but the disconnect would not work. If the lights go off when you disconnect the negative cable, just install a new battery disconnect directly at the battery. You can get them at any auto parts store, just connect the cable to one side of the new disconnect, and a new short cable to the battery and turn the red switch on and off.

Thanks

• Elton Bryant

RV Make: Keystone , RV Model: Cougar, RV Year: 2016

If it’s the flood light and you have a remote for the slide out and awning look to see if it has a picture of a light bulb. Press it. There is a relay in the lighting system that will keep it on.

7. June

RV Make: Monaco, RV Model: Safari Panther, RV Year: 2003, Brand: Kwikee steps, Model Number: unknown

When I close the door, the steps retract, but only about 75%. If I give them an assist, they will go all the way up. I have lubricated all of the pivot points, but the problem still persists. Any sugestions?

Hello June,

The first thing I would check is your house battery voltage. As the steps get closer to the retract stage, there is more friction and if you have a weak battery, it will not have the power to pull them up the rest of the way. Try connecting a battery charger directly to the batteries and see if that helps. Otherwise it sounds like the motor is getting weak and once again the friction makes it difficult to pull them the rest of the way. At this point you would need to take the motor off and have it tested.

8. Don

RV Make: winnebago, RV Model: Fuse, RV Year: 2017, Brand: Cumins, Model Number: RV QG 2800 ????

HI all

When running my onboard cummins generator, I overloaded it by turning on AC and Microwave too soon. I checked the circuit breakers for 110 ac and they had NOT been tripped. Are there other CBs that are tripped by the onboard generator? If so, where do I find them. I looked at the generator itself and there are none there, apparently. Can you help? thanks tons, Don

Hello Don,

To provide more specific troubleshooting information on your generator we need the make, model, and year of the generator and possibly the RV make and model as well? Typically the onboard generator would have 2 circuit breakers on the side of the unit, a 30 amp one that runs power to the distribution center, and a 20 amp one that goes to the back air conditioner. Sometimes the switches are hard to see as the wiring harness is in the front of these.

The only other switch is the circuit breaker at the distribution panel for the air conditioner and another for the microwave which is probably plugged into an outlet rather than hard wired so the circuit breaker would be for all the outlets on that side of the rig. I would suggest turning them off and on again as sometimes they look good, but are actually tripped?

9. Mike

RV Make: 5th wheel, RV Model: wilderness pride, RV Year: 2003, Brand: carlson-stromberg, Model Number: 401

installing a replacement ladder with useless instructions Our 5th wheel has a straight back but is indented where the stanchions need to be attached having to modify ladder to fit. Some example of others modify would be appreciated

Hello Mike,

If you could supply a photo of the back of your 5th Wheel it would be easier to provide some ideas for modifications. Also, what is the make, model and year so we can ask the company for references.

10. Greg

RV Make: Jayco, RV Model: Seneca 35GS, RV Year: 2005

I have a 2005 Jayco Seneca 35GS. We were in Arkansas recently with fairly high humidity and the main cabin air conditioner started to drip from the condenser grate in the ceiling. We drove to Oklahoma and New Mexico and did not experience any dripping. Is this because of a blocked drain line or some other reason. How would I check this out. We are fairly new to RVing just our second long trip. Would appreciate any thoughts.

Hello Roy,

You probably have a plugged nozzle on the San T Flush as the hard water used for flushing has lime, rust, and calcium. I would suggest removing it from the tank and soaking it in a water and white vinegar bath.

11. Jerry

RV Make: Keystone, RV Model: Cougar 5th wheel, RV Year: 2009

This is not about winterizing, but our fiber glass siding has bubble behind our refrigerator. Is there anything we can do to repair and prevent?

Hello Jerry,

The bubbling effect is a cause of moisture getting between the sidewall layers called delamination. To prevent any further damage, you will need to find the source of the moisture penetration and reseal the area. As for repair, it depends on the extent of the damage and what type of material is used in the sidewall. To provide more specific troubleshooting information we need the make, model, and year of your rig.

Hope this helps,

• Mack

RV Make: R-Vision, RV Model: 27FLT, RV Year: 2007

Thought I’d share in hope to save some folks a bit of grief. Perhaps most folks do not think about the refrigerator in their camper and that, just like those in the home need a way to discharge moisture from defrosting and condensation. In my case there is a drain on the back side of the unit that had a cheap plastic corrugated tube that was connected to the drain on the refrigerator and weaved through the copper coils to drain out the access grill past the outer wall of the trailer. Well the cheap piece of tubing had long since rotted away and the moisture draining from the fridge was going out on the floor underneath. No wonder there is softness in the floor in front of the fridge with no tell tale signs of a wall or roof leak. Folks please check the drain on your refrigerator and make sure it’s still channeling the drain outside the trailer. I used a piece of 1/2 I.D. automotive heater hose to replace the junk that rotted away. This fix should be one that lasts for years. My trailer is a 2007 model so the tube they used didn’t even last 10 years so I’ve read that the tubing doesn’t last over about 3 years.

12. Kathy

RV Make: open range, RV Year: 2011

we have an open range 5th wheel with a side by side refrigerator. The frig shifts in its spot when we are traveling. It is on a slide out but there is nothing up against the frig door. What can we do to secure it?

Hi Kathy. Most RV manufacturers secure the refrigerator by screwing down the base of the frame which is accessible outside through the vent. Take the vent off and look for a good metal frame at the base perimeter and I would assume the screws somehow got broken. In my opinion the best mounting method is to secure the base to steel plates secured to the framework of the rig, however few manufacturers do that and it’s impossible to retro fit it without removing the refrigerator. I would reattach more screws to the back and probably fabricate a u-shaped bracket with legs to lag bolt into the floor that goes over the frame to secure.
      Thanks
      Dave-RVRC

13. Barrett

RV Make: Fleetwood, RV Model: Bounder 34 J, RV Year: 1995

We have several outlets not working that were working the last time we used the coach several weeks ago. We keep it on shore power and have good power through a Progressive SSP-30XL surge protector
    The outlet over the co-pilot’s area work however the next over the sink, the one in the hall way (adjacent to the bathroom), the one in the right rear corner (for the TV) and the ones on the right and left side of the bed (on the right side) are not working. The bath and all outlets there forward on the right side are working.

I have checked voltage at the breakers and all look good (120V) and there are no blown fuses in the master panel by the breakers. I have unplugged everything and reset the breakers to no avail.
    I don’t see any GFIs at any of the outlets.
    What am I missing? Might there be a GFI under the sink or elsewhere? What else should be checked? Although I haven’t removed any, the outlets appear to be one-piece units and not sure if these can be checked. The coach is in very good condition and has been well cared for and everything worked properly before this.
    Thanks for any suggestions.

Hi Barrett. It’s possible you have a bad outlet as I would imagine these are all “ganged” or hooked in a series from the breaker. You should have a GFCI outlet either in the kitchen or the bathroom and I would start with that. It may be under the sink, however it’s usually up on the wall or under the overhead cabinets. If the GFCI gets overloaded to often, it will fail and create an open circuit meaning no power gets past it to go to the other outlets. Start by tracing the wire coming from the distribution center if possible. The GFCI outlet should be the first in line. If you verified 120-volt power coming out of the distribution center, then you can simply use a non-contact voltage tester from a home improvement store to verify.
      Thanks
      Dave-RVRC

• Sheila

mine is iin the bathroom, on the end of the sink, when it is out half my lights are out

14. william rice

RV Make: holiday rambler, RV Model: vacationer, RV Year: 2017

how do you put in a 50amp service.in a garage. 50 amp breaker number 6 wire then a plug””

Hello William,

There is more to it than just running a 6 wire plug to a 50 amp breakers. See the attached pdf file that shows hot the plug is configured with a hot 1, hot 2, neutral, and ground. I would suggest contacting a licensed electrician for wiring code in your area.

15. Mark

RV Make: KZ, RV Model: MXT, RV Year: 2013

Wondering how a battery is maintained on a pull behind Toy Hauler such as mine. Does the camper maintain the battery when plugged into power? Does the pulling truck power maintain the battery when being towed? My battery seems to maintain a charge when the camper is plugged in but always wanted this question answered. Thanks!

Hi Mark. When you are plugged into shoreline power, the distribution center provides 120-volt power to your converter which charges your house batteries. When you are driving down the road and have a 7 pin trailer connection, the engine alternator will provide a charge to the house/trailer battery while driving.
      Thanks
      Dave RVRC

16. Tony

RV Make: Roadtrek 190, RV Model: Independent, RV Year: 1994

I have a seat behind driver and one behind passenger side. ……I would like to install seat belts with over the shoulder belts, can you tell how to do this?

Hello Tony,

To provide more specific troubleshooting information we need the make, model, and year of your RV. However there are a couple of ways to add three point seat belts depending on the type of seat you have. If it’s an automotive style seat similar to the driver’s and passenger seat, you can purchase a seat that has an integrated shoulder harness coming out of the upper left side of the seat. The second option would be to install a D-Loop to the wall and mount your seat belt mechanism to the floor, run the harness up through the D-loop and mount the connecting part of the harness to the right side floor. I would suggest going to a dealership or consignment lot and looking at the configurations of several models to see what would work for your application.

Hello Tony,

Over the years there have been several “Wonder Product” introduced for extending the life of batteries but all that I have seen are pretty much snake oil. The reason they sell is EVERYONE has problems with their lead acid house batteries as they sulfate quickly if not charged properly and lose storage capacity and everyone is looking for a cheap fix. According to Battery University, one of the leading experts on lead acid batteries, you can add an Epsom Salt solution or caustic soda to a sulfated battery and it will do a slight dissolve of the sulfation on remaining open plates and give you a couple more months, however it’s short lived as the plates generally are already worn out from the shedding.

If you want to get the most of your lead acid batteries, make sure you understand the shedding or sulfation process and how to reduce it with proper charging. Lead acid batteries require a multi-stage charge once a month which is a high voltage “bulk stage” charge and then a float and equalizing charge. Most RVs do not have this capability and therefore the batteries start to shed and sulfate and lose storage capacity. My advise would be to get a Battery Minder which uses a high impact wave to condition the battery without gassing and fluid lose. They claim the product will extend the life of your batteries by over 200 cycles which could be 2-3 years!

17. Michael

RV Make: Thor, RV Model: Ace, RV Year: 2016, Brand: Atwood, Model Number: GC6AA-10E

The 110 volt side of the water heater stopped working. The 110 volt circuit breaker did not trip. I did turn it off and back on. How do I determine the cause of the problem?

Hello Michael,

You need to verify there is 120-volt power coming to the water heater with
      a mulitmeter. I assume you are referring to the circuit breaker at
      the distribution center? There is another fuse in the module board
      on the water heater that should be checked as well. If you have
      power going to the module board and past the in-line fuse, then you
      probably have a bad module board which could have been caused by running
      the water heater without water?

Hope this helps,

18. Robert

RV Make: Alfa, RV Model: See Ya, RV Year: 2003

I’m helping a friend who was changing her 12 volt bulbs to LED, she didn’t disconnect the battery, so she blew a fuse that feeds the Kitchen and the interior roof lights. I found the main 12 volt fuses under the dash at the steering wheel, but i can’t locate the fuses that control the area that she blew. I’m looking for possible areas to look for any sub panels for the 12 volt system in this motor home.

Hello Robert,

The fuses under the dash are more than likely the 12-volt automotive fuses for turn signals, gauges, etc. Typically the 12-volt fuses for house battery applications are in the distribution center next to the 120-volt circuit breakers? This could be placed in the lower section of kitchen cabinets, under the bed pedestal, or even in a compartment. Find the distribution center and you should find the fuse.

Hope this helps,

19. Paul Morgan

RV Make: Keystone, RV Model: Cougar, RV Year: 2017, Brand: Grey Tank

I have an year old 5th wheel and I have a leak around the grommet where the hole was drilled for the pipe, i thought the pipe wasnt long enough since the tank had bowed, but the outside of the rubber grommet is the problem. Any suggestions on how to repair this. Sealer?

Hello Paul,

To provide more specific troubleshooting information on your leak, we need the make and model of your 5th wheel and what pipe you are referring to? Is it a vent pipe on the top of the roof? And what tank bowed? If it is a pipe and grommet on the roof, I would suggest a self leveling lap seal product such as Dicor.

David RVRC Video Membership

We’d love to have you be a part of our community. We are convinced you will enjoy the benefits of becoming a member and having access to the best instructional how to videos and professional tips. We would like to offer you a special promotion for your first year membership.

20. wayne steinback

RV Make: winnebago, RV Model: chieftain, RV Year: 1993, Brand: waterpump

my water pump works when I hook it up directly to battery,but when it is hooked up the way it is supposed to be,when I turn the switch on above stove panel the on light for the pump comes on but the pump will not start,I have checked the fuse panel but that seems to be ok,Can you help me Please?

Hello Wayne,

If you have connected your water pump positive wire directly to the positive battery terminal and it works, the trouble is in your switch or wiring to the switch or from the switch to the water pump. Use a 12-volt tester to verify power coming to the switch and from the switch in the on position. Also, check to make sure you don’t have another switch in the bathroom or outside compartment. These should all be independent, but if for some reason the main power source goes to one switch and the others are “ganged” from that switch, none of them will power the water pump.

21. Randy

RV Make: Keystone, RV Model: Avalanche 330, RV Year: 2011

I have a brass plate on the door jam and two spring loaded tabs on the door.
    When the door is closed my red light next to fuse 15 (living room) is on, when I open the door the red light goes out. Everything plug, switch etc works. I’m plugged into 120v. I don’t have power stairs or a stair light.
    I do have a three way switch, one close to the brass plate near the floor on the inside, with the corresponding switch up on the wall.

There is a two lead wire off the brass plate, one to a ground bar and the other goes into the fuse panel.

What can the issue be

Randy

Hello Randy,

This is strange? Since it’s 12-volt, you should be able to use a test light to see if the brass plate is energized by a loose wire toughing it somewhere? I would take the switch out to see if any of the wires are loose or touching it? It could be a screw from fastening the plate is a little to long and touching a wire?

22. Paul

RV Make: Mobile Scout, RV Model: Titan III Series, RV Year: 2006

I Have a petcock valve on white PET water line that will not completely close. Is this the lowest point for draining? Do you have suggestions for closing the valve?

Hello Paul,

To provide more specific troubleshooting information and identify the lowest point for draining we need the make, model, and year of your RV. Typically the lowest point will come off the fresh water tank and route through the floor. If the valve does not close completely, I would suggest going to a home improvement store and getting a new compression fitting valve and some extra PEX pipe? They are very inexpensive and easy to install. Check out the videos on the site where we simply cut the hose and slide on the fitting, simple!

23. Leo

RV Make: Rage'n, RV Model: ss2400, RV Year: 2007

What is the best type of power (12V or 120V) TV to get for my RV, some people have said 12v while just as many have said 120v
    Thanks

Hello Leo,

I don’t think the power supply makes a difference rather the TV functions?  I have not seen very many large 12-volt TV options?  The 120-volt is the most common in todays RV market because of the large quality TVs and the great prices!  Plus you can run the 120-volt option or use an inverter and run off 12-volt power as well.

24. Les

RV Make: Fleetwoood, RV Model: Bounder, RV Year: 2007

I have been advised that I may want to replace the tires on my newly purchased used motor home “just in case”. I have heard that 5 years is the safe lifespan of a truck tire regardless of wear or mileage. Is this urban legend or sage advice? what do the experts say?

Hello Les,

The “experts” are the tire manufacturers, the Tire and Rim Association,
      and The RV Safety and Education Foundation and they all say 10 years for a
      trailer tire (ST) or RV tire, if everything else is within
      specifications such as weatherchecking on the sidewall, tread wear,
      bulging, and other issues with the tire.

25. David Crawford

RV Make: GEORGIE BOY, RV Model: SWINGER, RV Year: 1995

I have a question about hooking up my two 12 volt coach batteries. There are two positive leads from the chassis along with the negative. How should I handle the positive connections when hooking them to a battery?

Hello David,

To provide more specific information on the connection of your house batteries we need the make, model and year of your RV. If you have two 12-volt deep cycle batteries, they will need to be connected together parallel which means positive to positive and negative to negative. Then a cable will need to be connected to a positive terminal going to the distribution center and a negative to ground. If you have two positive cables you might have a battery isolation relay which would go to the relay and connect the engine alternator to provide a charge while driving, and a switch on the dash to provide a jump start from the house batteries to the engine if it is dead?

26. FRANK

RV Make: fleetwood, RV Model: Discovery, RV Year: 2007

My RV is a 2007, cat 330 freightliner chassis. My issue is a false air brake malfunction. The alarm comes on the gauges show air pressure at the appropriate pressure. sporadically the primary and secondary guage will alternately move from full to 0 psi, while the alarm is beeping. I have brakes as I am able to stop by depressing the brake pedal. any ideas and or solutions besides going to freightliner for an expensive ECM board replacement…Thank you.

Hello Frank,

There could be several issues that cause the sporadic operation of the gauges, most of what I’ve seen has been due to what’s called a colder solder point on control boards. This is a hairline crack in the solder joint that expands and contracts with temperature changes so it works and then doesn’t? This is typically at the control module which could be located on the firewall on the front of the vehicle, or the engine compartment at the rear of the coach accessible under the bed compartment? It’s very difficult to verify if all the solder joints are good just by looking at them, so most just replace the module for about $100? It could also be loose wiring to the module or gauge?

Since you indicated you do have sufficient air pressure to the brakes, it would not be a problem with any air pump filters, air lines, or dump valves. Just an annoying buzzing and concern about the psi in the gauge readings.

27. JOHN

RV Make: Jaycee, RV Model: Seneca 37FS, RV Year: 2114

I was using the black tank sprayer and when i noticed water dripping from all under the camper, what is the the most likely problem?

Hello John,

Since the tanks are typically a rotocast ABS plastic design with rounded edges and have very few issues with leaks, I would suspect you have a loose connection one of the dump lines, or connections? If you can identify the location of the leak and the location of a valve or tank, you should be able to identify if it’s a connection issue or valve and should be a relatively easy repair.

28. DAVID

RV Make: THOR, RV Model: ACE 30.1, RV Year: 2014

I have several problems. One is the coax cable from the outside connector to the TV’s has a bad connection,bad picture. When I bypass the cable the picture is great. How do I repair this other than running a new cable this coach has 3 TV’s. My other problem is that the Aux water tank pump will not work with the switch but will if I connect power to the pump at the pump.

Hello David,

For the coax cable, I would suggest going to Home Depot and getting a compression cable connection that you can install yourself. Directions come with the packet which consists of cutting back a certain amount of the outer sheet and protection. You might have to also purchase a compression tool, but they are fairly inexpensive. For the pump, if you get it to run with direct power it’s either the switch or the wiring? Do you have any other switches in the rig like on the monitor panel, outside in the service compartment, or in the bathroom? Try those as well, but a new switch is easy to install.

29. ANTHONY

RV Make: National dolphin, RV Model: 5355, RV Year: 2006

Hi my name is Anthony.. please advise where to find the relay c/b for my leveling Jack’s. Make power gear system…. thank you.

Hello Anthony,

According to the attached troubleshooting guide, the fuses are located on the back side of the touch pad. Lippert Components Inc bought Power Gear recently and have several manuals and troubleshooting guides available on their site if this is not the exact model you have.

30. Wayne

RV Make: Coachmen, RV Model: Aurora 2680, RV Year: 2001

I recently purchased the 2001 Coachmen Aurora 2680. It seems the engine alternator is not charging the house batteries, yet, I have an “emergency start” button on the dash. Should there also be a button on the dash to engage charging of the house batteries from the alternator as you drive down the road? I am skeptical as there are 2 cover plates on the dash which appear to be where round gauges, or switches, may have been; the wiring may have been modifies? Anyway, this feature is important to me i.e. I want to know the state of my house batteries and if they are low, I would like to have the alternator do some charging as I drive. Any thoughts as to what may be the problem given that they are not charging today. Thanks for any input.
    Regards,
    Wayne (New member)

Wayne, thanks for joining the RV Repair Club. The emergency start button on your dash is typically a two way, spring loaded switch. There is a solenoid in the battery compartment and as you drive down the road, the engine alternator provides a charge to the house batteries. When you press the emergency start button, voltage from your house batteries travel through this solenoid to provide a jump start to your engine batteries if needed. Check out the video on measuring charging on the site. You can use a multimeter set to the 12-volt DC side, place the black probe on the negative post, the red to the positive. If your house batteries are fully charged you should see 12.6 volts. Now have someone start the engine and you should see the voltage rise to 14 – volts or higher. If not, you may have a defective solenoid.
      David-RVRC

31. John

RV Make: Cougar 5th wheel, RV Model: 27RKS, RV Year: 2017

My wife and I are in our 70s and we are not comfortable climbing on the roof to put on a RV cover. Any suggestions how to protect the RV in this situation?

Hi John. I would suggest hiring a couple of kids to put it on with your supervision? Check with your local high school, college, or church. Or job service always has a list of people available. Otherwise find a storage facility you can keep it inside.
      Thanks
      Dave-RVRC

32. Gayland Seidel

RV Make: Itasca, RV Model: Horizon, RV Year: 2009

Does anyone make a bypass for your RV Water Fiter? I can tell you this there is plenty of room for one to be installed in the outside water service and holding tank draines compatment. Thanks, gayland

33. Michael

RV Make: Safari, RV Model: Ivory Edition, RV Year: 1994, Brand: Allison

My transmission control module lights up for about 15 seconds, blinks, than goes dark. Do not shift light comes on dash. I’ve cleaned battery cables, constant 12v supply to transmission, and checked ignition solenoid. What am I missing? I need to get this figured out. I can’t move or go anywhere.

Hello Michael,

To provide more specific troubleshooting information about your transmission issue we need the make, model, and year of your rig as well as the chassis and transmission make. From the info provided, it seems you have a diesel pusher with the Allison touchscreen transmission shift pad? You stated you have a Do Not Shift Light on the dash, do you have any other lights/gauges working and does the engine actually start but you can not shift? If you have an Allison Transmission, it gets power directly from the batteries to the electronic control unit (ECU) so check all wires coming off the battery to make sure they are connected tightly and not corroded. Typically there is a butt connector a few feet downstream that can be a problem. Also, make sure if you have a chassis battery cut off switch it is working properly and not open as well. If other automotive items like headlights and dash gauges are working, the battery disconnect is not the problem.

You can also check with Transmission Instruments who specialize in diagnosing and repairing the ECU of the remote shift pads.
      You can contact them here:

34. MICHAEL

RV Make: Starcraft , RV Model: 2500RKS, RV Year: 2006

Good day to you sir. My question is how to in stall an auxiliary fresh water tank. The trailer has the water tank under the dinette bench and the other dinette bench is empty for storage so I need to add a tank under the other bench. I want them to fill and drain together. The fresh tank on holds 20 gallons and that won’t last long boondocking. Where to install vent fill and drain hoses is my biggest problem. I have joined as a gold member to be able to do tasks such as this one. I need to source the materials including the tank as well if you know of an affordable place for the materials needed. Thank you in advance for your attention to this.

Hello Michael,

There are several places to get tanks such as plastic-mart and PPL
      Motorhomes, or any RV dealer or service center. The challenge is
      hooking it up to the other tank which is on the other side of the rig with
      an open walkway! I would suggest adding a new fill neck on that side
      of the rig which means you need to fill each individually as there is no
      good way to get water from the bottom of your existing tank over to the
      top of your new tank? You should be able to run a water line from
      the bottom to the water pump using an inline T there? Then I would
      add a T to that line at the tank and run a drain line through the bottom
      of the rig as well?

35. Andrew

RV Make: Coachmen , RV Model: Classic 31, RV Year: 1988

We have been trying to locate the Fuses and Circuit breakers and have had no luck they are no where obvious
    to us. The owners manual says we have them but does not give a location can you offer any help with this
    Thanks Andy Allen

Hello Andrew,

Typically the 120-volt circuit breakers and 12-volt fuses are located in the distribution center with the converter. This can be just about anywhere is the rig, but does have a access door to get at them. Look in the kitchen/living room area on any wall that is not part of a slide room. Sometimes the distribution center is placed in the underneath cabinet of the dinette, under a refrigerator, or even in the bedroom under the mattress in the pedestal. Attached is a typical all in one distribution center. You should be able to hear the cooling fan running while it is charging.

36. Harv Bennett

RV Make: Keystone Couger, RV Model: rk28s, RV Year: 2017

Just trying to learn a few things

37. Duane

RV Make: 2003 airstream international 22' CCD

My 2003 Airstream will be stored outdoors for the forseeable future. Should I consider getting a cover, and if so what would you recommend

Hello Duane,

I would definitely recommend a cover as it will help keep the roof seams from drying up as well as protect the fiberglass and decals on the sidewall. There are several brands on the market, however I have always been a fan of ADCO which has been in the business for over 30 years and build customized covers for rigs that fit better and have fewer loose areas that flap in the wind and rub off the luster. You can find your style here: https://www.adcoprod.com/

38. Robert

RV Make: Grand Design, RV Model: Refelection, RV Year: 2015

I am new to rving, how do I know if the hot water heater has enough water. Does the hot water heater fill from the fresh water tank? Thanks Robert email: rcambrice@gmail.com

Hello Robert,

The water heater of your rig will fill from the fresh water tank or the city water fill depending on how you are connected. Typically they are either 6 gallons or 10 gallons which you should be able to determine by the data plate on the water heater itself. You may have a water heater bypass valve which is used during winterizing, it shuts the line down going to the water heater and bypasses it to the other side. This allows you to add RV antifreeze and not waste 6-10 gallons to fill up the water heater. If this valve is turned to bypass, then you will not get any water in the water heater.

39. RANDY

RV Make: dutchman, RV Model: 5th wheel, RV Year: 1990

sometimes the breaker box makes a buzzing sound then stops its for charging the battery should it do that ?

Hello Randy,

Yes, your distribution center has a converter that is actually a charger for the house batteries. When it senses the batteries have dropped to 10.5-volts it kicks on and provides a 13.6-volt charge to the batteries until they reach 12.6-volts. This will typically produce a buzzing noise, heat, and a noise from the cooling fan.

David

40. Wayne

RV Make: Highland Ridge, RV Model: Mesa Ridge 347RES, RV Year: 2016, Brand: Frigidaire, Model Number: FGHC2331PFAA

This is the first resdential refrigerator we have had in a camper. What is the proper procedure to winterize the ice maker?

Hello Wayne,

To provide specific winterizing instruction we need the make, model, and year of the refrigerator? Typically you would have a filter underneath the kitchen sink and would need to take the filter out. If you are winterizing the coach with RV antifreeze, switch off the line to the refrigerator and then run the icemaker through several cycles until there is no more water coming through. If you are blowing out the lines with air, you do not need to switch the bypass but do run it through the cycles as well to get the water out of the line. The compressed air method will not blow through the icemaker, rather up to the faucet.

David

41. MIKE

RV Make: dutchman, RV Model: voltage, RV Year: 2015

just watched a video on removing broken plastic water heater plug. just had a suggestion that may be better than drilling. we do this on automobiles with plastic fittings. take a chisel a little wider than the open hole of the fitting. heat the tip with a propane torch then push it into the broken fitting a little way. let cool a minute then unscrew the fitting using the chisel. no plastic debris and you will not have plastic in the threads or the heater

42. jwvisinsky

RV Make: Forest River, RV Model: Heritage Glenn, RV Year: 2018, Brand: Forest River, Model Number: 24RB

Can you loeave the batteries ouside over winter if connected to a 120 volt source

Hello,

That’s typically not a good idea. The water in the batteries can evaporate from being charged and if it keeps getting a charge it will damage the batteries. Even making sure it has good water levels, a battery constantly getting a charge will decrease amp hours out of it. Deep cell batteries are made to deplete and get recharged. It is better for the batteries. Taking the battery inside and charging it once a month is much better for the battery than leaving it outside charging.

Hope this helps,

Dan

43. Scott

RV Make: Newmar, RV Model: Scottsdale, RV Year: 2003

I just purchased this used motor home and am interested in winterizing it myself. I need to know where I might find the isolation and bypass valves for the water heater. Since the water heater is in the back near the bed, is that where to look? Thanks.