Over the years there have been several different brands of refrigerators used in RVs. However, Dometic and Norcold have become the main players and offer a variety of refrigerator types for your needs. You’ll see the various types, including the popular two door model with freezer on top and the four door models with two freezer doors and two refrigerator doors to limit the amount of cold air that escapes when removing food items.
Your refrigerator is a critical appliance in an enjoyable RV trip or vacation – but it can make you heated when it’s not operating properly.
This video class will teach you the ins and outs of various refrigerators, and provide you with step-by-step tips and know-how to keep yours running smoothly, and to troubleshoot when you need to.
Your instructor, Dave Solberg, will show you how an absorption refrigerator operates and what makes it different than the compressor drive models used in our homes. Different types of refrigerators will be explained, such as Dometic and Norcold as well as changes that have occurred to the design over the years. We’ll cover tips to make your absorption refrigerator work more efficiently even during the heat of the summer months as well as troubleshooting procedures for no operation on LP or AC, insufficient cooling, and even over-cooling or frosting up.
Other topics you’ll learn include basic maintenance such as cleaning the burner assembly, exhaust vent, and flue, which should be done periodically to make your absorption refrigerator run more efficiently. Fault codes can tell a lot about the issues that are happening with your refrigerator, and both Dometic and Norcold have specific codes to make troubleshooting fast and easy.
The thermistor is an important component which senses the temperature and relays that information back to the monitor panel. This class will show you how to remove the thermistor, place it in a cup of ice water to simulate 32 degrees, and use a multi-meter to check the ohm reading and verify the thermistor is operating properly.
Ice makers are often a forgotten item when it comes to winterizing and one good freeze can be an expensive oversight. This Refrigeration class will show how the ice maker works, some troubleshooting tips, and how easy it is to winterize it.
And finally, you’ll see how important it is to have the unit level when operating your absorption refrigerator as the liquid components in the boiler are heated either with LP or an AC heating element and travel up to the evaporator and condenser, requiring gravity to make their way back down. If your rig is out of the acceptable level condition, the liquid can pool and cause a blocked cooling unit and not only insufficient cooling, but eventually the need for a new refrigerator! This class will show you the acceptable level and how to check with a quick glance using a bubble level.
In addition to the detailed video instruction you’ll receive, this online class provides you with some downloadable resources and helpful information to print and keep, including: A detailed Class Guide you can follow and use as a reminder for the key points of the class instruction; and a few resource documents that will help you get the most out of your refrigerator.
NOTE: You’ll receive this Class video instruction in two forms: As on-demand streaming video (in your RV Account); and as a physical DVD, mailed to you.
- Q: How do I know what the Class covers? A: Every Class has a free Preview video you can watch, to give you a flavor of the Instructor and the skills or project that will be covered. In addition, the Overview tab includes a thorough written description of the Class. And finally, each Class Session has a brief written summary of the content in that Session, including the length of each Session video. You will get a good feel for the Class content by reviewing these resources.
- Q: Do I have to be a Member of RV Repair Club to purchase a Class? A: No you don’t. While Premium Members will receive regular offers for special deals on RV Repair Club Academy content, Classes are not reserved exclusively for Members. If you buy a Class as a non-member, we’re sure you’d also enjoy having access to our full library of great RV videos and articles as a Member, so give it a try.
- Q: How do I purchase a Class? A: First you should decide that the Class is what you want. Review the Class Preview video and the various written descriptions of the Class and each Session before you purchase, so you have a good understanding of the Class content. When you’re ready to purchase and gain access to the Class, simply click the “Add to Cart” button, and proceed through the Checkout process.
- Q: How do I access/view my Class? A: Once you’ve paid, you can access/view your Class by going to the MY ACCOUNT section of RV Repair Club. The MY ACCOUNT link is in the upper right-hand area of the website. Within your MY ACCOUNT, a section labeled “My Classes” will appear, including a link to watch the video of your Class. You’ll also receive an email confirmation after your purchase, which will include a link to view your Class. You can access your Class as many times as you wish, and you’ll never lose access to your Account information. Just be sure to “Log In” for access to MY ACCOUNT.
- Q: Do I have to take the Class right away? A: No. Any Class you buy will be accessible to you always. You can view your Class whenever you want, and you can view individual Sessions in whatever order you like.
- Q: Is there a limit on the times I can view my Class? A: No. Your access never expires. You can view any Class you purchase as many times as you want, whenever you want.
- Q: Can I view a Class on my tablet device or mobile phone? A: No problem. Most newer-model smartphones or other mobile/tablet devices with an internet connection are able to play the Class videos. Simply Log In on RV Repair Club, and you can view any Class you’ve bought through the MY ACCOUNT section. Or, you can click on the “View Class” link within the email confirmation you’ll receive upon your purchase.
- Q: How do I get access to the Bonus Materials for the Class? A: Until you purchase a Class, the Bonus material (any extra videos, download materials, etc.) will not be accessible. Once you purchase a Class, and go to view your Class, each individual Bonus element is accessible by simply clicking on each item. You’ll find the Bonus Materials directly below your main Class viewer frame. You can access the bonus materials as many times as you like and/or save them to your device.
- Q: How does the Class Q&A Resource benefit work? A: Once you purchase any Class, within the Class viewing page, you’ll have access to post a question, comment or tip in the Class Q&A Resource area. This is not a “live chat,” but your Class Instructor and RV Repair Club contributors will answer posted questions and provide tips regularly. You can also view other Class participants’ questions and input to take part in this virtual dialogue among others who have taken the Class and are willing to share tips, answers, or ideas.
- Q: Can I print out Class details? A: For any Bonus Material that is a PDF Download, yes you can. Just click on the icon/button for the Bonus element you want, and print with your local printer.
- Q: What are PDF downloads? A: These are simply documents, plans, or written materials that are formatted in a way to print out and retain for reference. By simply clicking on the icon/link for any PDF Download that is included with a Class, you can print that document on your own printer or simply view the contents on your computer/mobile device.
- Q: Are there any system requirements to view the Class video content? A: Your Class video content is best when viewed on a computer manufactured in the past couple of years with a good broadband Internet connection (not dialup). We also highly recommend using the latest version of Firefox, Safari, or Chrome as your Internet Browser, though recent versions of Internet Explorer will work as well. The recommended screen resolution is 1024 x 768 or larger.
- Q: Why do you need my email? A: We need it to acknowledge your purchase of a Class, and send you a confirmation of your transaction. Also, in order to maintain your permanent access to the Class videos, you’ll need to Log In to rvrepairclub.com. We guarantee that we will not share your email with any third parties. You may receive email updates from RV Repair Club from time to time, with details of new Classes and updates. You can easily unsubscribe when you receive any email.
- Q: Can I get a refund if I don’t like the Class? A: Because you’ll have full access to all the materials and content that is presented in the Class immediately, we can’t offer a refund after purchase. Please review the Class Preview video and the various written descriptions of the Class and each Session before you purchase, so you have a good understanding of the Class content.
- Q: How do I contact RV Repair Club Academy? A: If your question is about the Class content, please use the Class Discussion benefit to ask your question online – and you'll receive feedback from the Class Instructor. Even your fellow Class participants may jump in to offer tips and advice from their experience. If you have other questions or need help, you can email us at RVRepairClub@program-director.net. or call us toll-free, at 1-855-706-3536. Service Representatives will be available Monday-Friday, from 8:00 AM to 4:30 PM Central time, excluding normal holidays.
Bonus Materials Included
Class Guide PDF ?
Troubleshooting Tips PDF ?
Efficiency Tips PDF ?
Multimeter Basics PDF ?
Video: Meet Your Instructor ?
Video: Instructor Insights ?